Rabbit hutch roof!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, last weekend I built the nipper a hutch, it's all finished bar the roof. I have built the carcass but haven't clad the roof yet. See the pic below:

3DSCF7455-med.JPG

The question is, what can I cover the lid with to make it properly waterproof? I have some roofing felt, but it's really thick and difficult to fold down over the edges. Can you get a thinner felt? Or maybe something else that you can glue on which will do the job?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Looks good. Roofing felt, am assuming shed roofing felt, is good. To make it easier, keep the felt inside your house for a couple of days to warm it up and make it more flexible. Should be fine.

skellem said:
Or maybe something else that you can glue on which will do the job?
Twin wall polycarbonate sheet ( screw + cap ) with 25mm overhang all round ?

Bitumen corrugated sheet ????

heeelllooo skellem :D nice job :D :D
when you say roofing felt do you mean sheds or under roof tiles
assuming its normal felt you should extend the felt below the roof line slightly so any drips fall of the felt rather than soak into the wood normally the pitch is towards the back so the draining water is not blowing into the hutch an extra 2 inches on the front would have given good protection but still a very very good job i am very very impressed :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions, someone also suggested painting bitumen on.

The felt I have is left over from my shed, it's pretty thick stuff. I have seen some hutches with the felt folded over the edges and then held in place with wooden batten. I suppose that could also work.

battons would do fine ask for the sallest size of tile batton from your builders merchant or wood yard youll get treated wood relativly cheap also you could put a layer of polythene underneath as a secondary layer
dontforget the bit of wood with bark on for them to chew so your hutch might last a Bit longer

big-all said:
dontforget the bit of wood with bark on for them to chew so your hutch might last a Bit longer

:D Thanks, didn't know that. I'll make sure they've got something to keep them busy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back