Felting a Rabbit Hutch Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just a quick question about felting a rabbit hutch roof.

I want the felt to look neat and wondered what is the best way to fold the corners under? Rather than just fold the overhanging edges over at right angles and then nail them, is there a way to fold and create a neater corner?

Thanks for your advice

Robin

Sponsored Links
I'll explain this as if it's a bottom right corner...
Cut the felt from the corner towards the front, in a straight line, such that if you folded it straight over the front it would be the correct length. Take the right hand side 'long' bit and fold it over the right edge, then fold the 'flap' around the corner and onto the front edge. Overlap it with the bit you already cut to fit the length. You might need to make the 'flap' slightly angled to achieve a neat edge.
Try it with a piece of paper on the edge of your table first, you'll see what I mean.

If I understand your question correctly, and that you mean the 'drip' edge, then I found working backwards works well. By that I mean do the edges before the top. (This was on a large shed project, with first layer nailed, and second glued. You don't say if you're gluing or nailing, but I suppose it could be modified to a single layer nailed-only job.)

To do it this way, cut a strip as long as the entire edge (but see below), 12" wide say. Nail it along the edge with the wrong surface towards you, and the top of strip at or just below the roof level. Then using a batten or other straight edge to create a neat fold, fold the bottom edge up and over the top of the roof, so that the correct surface faces outwards, the folded-up bit hides the nails, and the lower fold is a neat edge. The top fold is formed by encouraging the felt along the roof edge.

Corners are done by trapping some over-length from the adjacent edge before the folding-up, so plan ahead with the cutting.

Then cover the top of the roof with flat overlapping runs, with no folding over the edge. These runs cover the top folded-over surfaces from the drip edges.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies, I shall give it a go and practice on the corners with some old felt first

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back