Timber for Rabbit Hutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking to build a bigger rabbit hutch.

I was planning to use PTG (floorboards?) for the hutch, would this be ok aslong as I treat it every year so its waterproof? The hutch will be raised up off the floor.

Any suggestions much apricheated!

Cheers
-Adam :)

Sponsored Links
personally i would use a sheet rather than planks for any kind of pet home as it would be a lot easier when it comes to cleaning out.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I would use sheet for the floor inside of the hutch, but was planning to use planks on the outside the hutch.. just think it would look better! :p

Cheers
-Adam

edit-
I was thinking this profile of PTG for the outside panelling.

is the preservative safe for rabbits?
you might want to use a durable timber instead like western red cedar, larch or oak.

Sponsored Links
all the rabbit hutches i make are made from 12mm exteriour ply

the top overhangs by around 3" all round 6" on the front and coverd in shed felt
the legs if fitted are on the side and go right to the roof and are usualy 2x2" treated sawn

the front off the hutches are fully open front with only a support between the sleeping and day accomodation

a great tip is to make a tray for each section made from 12mm ply with an edge all round from 1x1" treated with only 5mm clearence then when you need to clear out the cage you slide out the trays tip them out and cover with sawdust

this makes the hutches last twice as long as its the trays you replace as they rot with the pee and not the hutch

the front door has the wire on the inside face this stops them chewing when bored leave a small offcut off branch with the bark on for them to chew

I've made a huge (over 6ft tall, three storey)rabbit hutch and some smaller guinea pig hutches, for each one i used fence posts for the legs and exterior grade sheet ply for the sides / backs / floors etc. Felted the roof, and stained with a wood stain / protector (i can find the details of a 'pet safe' one later if you need it). I've got some pics too if you like.

Thanks the the replys! :D

I went to my local timber merchant and picked up some lengths of tanalised tongue and groove.

Do you have any pictures of the hutch's you have built big-all?

Yeah drawdibble, is it possible for you to post the pictures in here or would you like my email address to send them to?

Thanks again!
-Adam

sorry adam tecnophobe here so pictures elude me lol

the problem you will have with your txg is spacing it correctly so it has room to move so in the summer you wont get gaps and in the winter it wont be under to much pressure
also you need a full frame as txg needs holding together unlike sheet material

Hi, sorry for the late reply!

Hutch looks great drewdibble! How do you go about felting the roof? Do you just simply staple/nail down the roofing felt or do you have to use tar etc?

Cheers
-Adam

Hi, just nailed around the edges and then a fold and nails underneath, i didn't use tar. I've done a further two and perfected where to put the nails / folds so you can't see them.

what do u call yr rabbits ? and do they like a good stroke acroos the ears?? :)

Rex and Hazel, and yes they do! On a seperate note, i'm trying to sell a handmade guinea pig hutch, any suggestions as to where i might be able to do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back