Rad leaking from both ends...Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to take rad off the wall to clean out sludge but could only detach lockshield valve. TRV valve was seazed but trying to unseaze it caused it to weep. I should mention that piping is 8mm microbore. Now I've discovered weeping from the locksheild valve also. I'm considering the options of draining the open vented system or buging at the f/e tank, but I'm seriously lacking experience and confidence in this area.

If I choose the bunging option, considering that the TRV is seized, can I drain water from the locksheild valve which would then enable me to make repairs on both tail pipes? With the draining option, can I drain ch system out of the lockshield valve or should I do it from the drain cock which is located on a pipe going into the bottom of my cylinder?

Sponsored Links
if you have a hose attachment you should be able to screw it on the lockshield and drain it that way

1 Dont use cyl drain cock as its on the domestic side.

2 bungs never seal well. But a 22 speedfit cap on the o/vent and someone (ie the wife) to plug the c/feed will save full draining and loss of system additives.

3 you have have an isolating vlv on c/feed, in which case the wife can carry on with the roast.

OR... freeze it.

With bunging, open a rad valve into a small bucket, BUT do one vlv at a time as if you dont your in for an early shower.

David

Thanks for the help guys. These leaks and the moist lounge carpet were making me feel quite miserable. David, can't locate the c/feed isolating valve. Should I be looking in loft or by cylinder? Would tying up the ballcock at the f/e tank do the same trick or how about the stop cock under the sink? Won't get the missus up the loft, can't even get her into the garden shed :rolleyes:

Thanks for the hosepipe connection tip, Corgiman, I'm gonna try to pick one up tomorrow. The more tools in my tool bag, the better :D

Tony

Sponsored Links
gimchee said:
Thanks for the help guys. These leaks and the moist lounge carpet were making me feel quite miserable..............Perhaps hire a dehumidifier to speed up drying out...then claim on house insurance :idea: locate the c/feed isolating valve. Should I be looking in loft or by cylinder?There should NOT be one........there SHOULD BE a valve on the supply to the ballvave to the F+E tank...... Would tying up the ballcock at the f/e tank do the same trick..........YES ;) or how about the stop cock under the sink..YES

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back