Radial Circuit - Comments pleas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am doing a trial project and I would like to know if this type of radial circuit would be acceptable and certifiable.

All cables and junction boxes are secure.
Best Regards,
Jackson

Attachments

• RadialCircuit.jpg
    RadialCircuit.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
If this is a new circuit then you will need to notify your Local Authority Building Control before you begin work.
If you use junction boxes they must be accessible.
For a new radial circuit you do not need junction boxes -you should use the sockets as junction boxes - this will give you immediate access to all terminations.
You don't say what type of earthing system you have.
You don't say how you are going to test the earthing system and circuit.
Your RCBO size is correct as is your Cable size.

There is nothing wrong with the diagram that is permitted.

But as already said you do need to follow laws and regulations which require things like RCD protection and either access or maintenance free JB's and completing the forms be it minor works or installation which in turn means inspection and testing.

We all know that DIY people will not spend the money to get full testing equipment, but we do hope they will use something like the EZ150 plug in tester to highlight any errors.

Hi Thank you for your prompt reply.
Earthing is TN–S. All is set up... all 3 rooms already have old wiring for lights only but not sockets. Access to junction boxes are easy from loft.
All I am worried if that would pass electrical certification if not a proper Radial without junction boxes will be used with only 2 trunks for last 2 sockets. Ring circuit is not suitable for this application.
A new circuit has to be added for those sockets only.
Thanks in advance.
Jackson

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All plugs were tested using a plugin tester, wiring colors followed and earth indicator in place. Only test left is RCD trip out and to get it certified.

All plugs were tested using a plugin tester, wiring colors followed and earth indicator in place. Only test left is RCD trip out and to get it certified.
What do you mean by IT earthing system?
What were your test results - did they meet the criteria laid down by BS7671.
Who is going to certify it?
How do you intend to test the RCBO?
Methinks you don't really have a clue what you are doing because who would introduce additional terminations into a simple radial circuit.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments riveralt.
All electrical is currently conforming with BS7671 and and 17th edition wiring regulation.
My only concern at moment is regarding diagram comply with wiring regulation and it would pass inspection.
Kind Regards,
Jackson.

Hi All,

I am doing a trial project and I would like to know if this type of radial circuit would be acceptable and certifiable.

All cables and junction boxes are secure.
Best Regards,
Jackson

Blimey, you're brave to ask that question. I had a similar question and got a shed-load of flak from some forum members.

All electrical is currently conforming with BS7671 and and 17th edition wiring regulation.
No it doesn't. How did you comply with Part 6?

My only concern at moment is regarding diagram comply with wiring regulation and it would pass inspection.
As has already been stated the diagram is a radial final circuit - though no self respecting electrician would introduce additional terminations into a circuit without good excuse.
However, your installation will not pass LABC inspection.

Still awaiting a reply regarding your IT earthing system.

Thank you everybody for your comments specially for Ericmark for answering my question.
Best Regards,
Jackson

The OP changed his post from IT to TN-S in post #4 it says Last edited: Today at 10:23 AM
Ah! ... I guess there's a lesson to be learnt there - it's the reason why, personally, if I am questioning or referring to something someone has posted, I always quote it - just in case they subsequently edit their post, and hence thereby potentially make nonsense of what I have written/asked!

Kind Regards, John

I have come across problems with EICR's in the past where the inspector has given the circuit a code but I can't see why the code has been given. Code 2 - 415.1.1 is great even if it should not have been code 2 at least you know why it has failed.

The same with comments on the forum not permitted - 522.6.6 OK we all know the reason why and we can give why we feel it's not permitted.
No it doesn't. How did you comply with Part 6?
At least does show where he is looking and quite valid a plug in EZ150 tester only shows better than 1.50Ω and so does not give a 100% answer as to if it passes. Can't remember new limit for a ring final but not talking about a ring final and 16A spur is around the 2.73Ω mark so good enough.

OK the 40 mS tripping time needs a special meter but he did say except for RCD testing. What we must remember is enquiry is a permitted method so to get some one else to test and then use those results on the paper work you have raised is permitted.

I see nothing wrong in getting an EICR done then copying the test results onto an EIC and signing it. Neither is there anything wrong with using a three signature form.

As to LABC accepting the paperwork I will agree I did myself have problems. But the Liverpool inspector was very helpful and the Cheshire one was not too bad it was only the Flintshire one who raised objections. It does vary council to council and not even sure if notifiable anyway.

We have argued again and again as to what is a new circuit. Until some one is taken to court we do not have the answer. It would seem adding a FCU does not make a new circuit under Part P but it does with BS7671 so if adding a FCU does not form a new circuit then why would adding a MCB form a new circuit they both do the same thing after all.

If I was asked is it a new circuit if so you need to pay £5 I would say yes it's a new circuit, but if they want £100 then I would answer no it's not a new circuit as I would not want to pay £100 for a rubber stamp. And until the minimum charge is dropped to a reasonable figure I am sure most people who would need to register the work with the LABC would say the same until a test case shows other wise which is unlikely to happen with owner occupied property.

Most houses today have two circuits (RCD is a over current device) which are further split into more circuits (MCB's) but with a populated CU non of those circuits will be new.

Yes I will agree this is not what was intended by the law but it will require case law to clarify. If the house was being rented out then I would not take a chance we have seen how courts are very quick to find land lords guilty so the tenant can claim compensation. The Mrs Whittall case is a good example. But for owner occupier DIY I know of no cases where the grieving husband has been taken to court for killing his wife.

Since he was able to show a reasonable drawing and work out he has a TN-C-S supply I would not class Jackson as an idiot and if we expect every regulations to be followed both in spirit and word then may as well get rid of the Electrics UK section of DIYNOT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back