radial Final circuit definition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i find the definitions on pages 362 363 of the requirements for electrical instalations confusing.

Definition (page 362). Ring final circuit.
A ring final circuit starts and finishes at the distribution board, where it is connected to a 30 A or 32 A overcurrent protective device.

Definition. Radial final circuit.
A radial final circuit starts and finishes at the distribution board, where it is connected to a 30 A or 32 A overcurrent protective device.

I always thought i knew what a radial was until i read this or is it because i bought my new copy of requirements for electrical installations off the internet ?

I class a radial as a circuit that starts at the distribution board finishes elsewhere without a return leg. (not including high integrity). Correct me if i'm wrong please.

help i can't stand being confused. :(

Sponsored Links
You are correct. Also, a radial circuit would normally have a 20a fuse or mcb. Exceptions would be a cooker or shower circuit, which would have a higher rated protection(also a larger cable csa)

i find the definitions on pages 362 363 of the requirements for electrical instalations confusing.

Definition (page 362). Ring final circuit.
A ring final circuit starts and finishes at the distribution board, where it is connected to a 30 A or 32 A overcurrent protective device.

Definition. Radial final circuit.
A radial final circuit starts and finishes at the distribution board, where it is connected to a 30 A or 32 A overcurrent protective device.

I always thought i knew what a radial was until i read this or is it because i bought my new copy of requirements for electrical installations off the internet ?

I class a radial as a circuit that starts at the distribution board finishes elsewhere without a return leg. (not including high integrity). Correct me if i'm wrong please.

help i can't stand being confused. :(

I think they've done a mistake.

A radial circuit does indeed not return to the distribution board, and a final circuit may be protected by a 20A or 30A/32A protective device if using BS1363 socket outlets, or according to the requirements of the circuit eg 5A/6A for electric lights or 45A for an electric shower.

Unless I'm misunderstanding their terminoligy of course and they've changed what ordinary words mean.

Thanks for your replies and confirmation. I qualified as an electrician ( of sorts) 4yrs ago but I don't work as an electrician so im trying to keep things fresh just in case i do decide to take it up. I find if you're not doing it everyday you start to forget stuff or doubt yourself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies and confirmation. I qualified as an electrician ( of sorts) 4yrs ago but I don't work as an electrician so im trying to keep things fresh just in case i do decide to take it up. I find if you're not doing it everyday you start to forget stuff or doubt yourself.

I'm still working mentally to 15th Edition!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back