Radiant Gas Fire and Flue Liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope this post is in the correct section. We have a radiant gas fire about 20 years old. Please can you advise the chimney liner diameter that should be used with this. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Read the Maker's Instructions. They will tell you what flue the fire can be used with.

Hi all, I hope this post is in the correct section. We have a radiant gas fire about 20 years old. Please can you advise the chimney liner diameter that should be used with this. Many thanks.

I think you must mean that you are having a flue liner installed, if your chimney has failed ( unlikely if it`s been there for probably twenty years or more , might need a bit of pointing) Your installer will fit the appropriate diameter for your flue, & take all your lovely money.

By the way a lot of these Muppets advise having your chimney lined when there is nothing wrong. Have a second opinion & don`t mention the flue. See what happens. ;)

Hi everyone,

Giblets - as the radiant fire is years old - we do not have an instruction manual.

Bamber - yes sorry I did mean flue liner.

I did a short post on this but the whole history is that the builder installed a 100mm flue liner for use with this fire. A corgi guy checked all the work and approved the work. Now another corgi guy (another story!!!) has said 100mm is not enough!

So we have two professional opinions and each are different to each other. Dont know who is right!

HELP......

Sponsored Links
most older fires didnt generally need a liner, but when they did it was 125mm normally

bamber's correct.
get a second opinion. brick chimneys very rarely fail.
the flue liner usually would be 125mm but try get hold of manual or contact the maker by phone or internet. they have the final word.

beware !!!!!!

100mm 4 inch is too small for a fire and if was recently done i would get them back to rectify. BUT if it has been in since fire fitted and providing fire is showing no signs of spillage or other defect then it is classed as not to current standard NCS.

Hi everyone,
many thanks for your replies.
the fire is a Main Seafire 3 - (it might be Potterton or Hallmark Seafire 3) as it is quite old - not 100% sure of make.
the chimney was lined as the chimney was orginally shared with the neighbour. the chimney removed on one side so chimney had to be lined to ensure the gas fire could still be used.
the lining was 100mm as said all work approved by the rigt people. now we are told due to some recent events (long story) that 100mm not correct and should be more.......2 professionals and 2 different answers!!
Help...

Ihave gave you answer from the regs what else are you after....In this case engineers can put it down to there own interpretation so neither is wrong.

Hi namsag,
Thanks for your message.
Fire came first (years ago) and the liner came later (last year) - guess you are saying its not compliant :(

No and has not been for approx 20 years .. so i personally would kick up with whoever done it and get money back or a 5 inch put down in place of

I think the Seafire was made by Economic.

As the efficiency of the fire was only just over 60%, it did not usually need a flue liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back