Radiant Gas Fire and Flue Liner

Hi Sandwell,
Is the company Economic part of Potterton, Hallmark,Main etc?
I have been trying to find out the maker etc but am having no joy.
all i know its a seafire 3....does anyone know anything about this type of fire?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
themum

I worked for British Gas for many years, and remember this fire well.
Economic was the name of the firm that made it. They had no connection with any of the other manufacturers that you mention.
They originally manufactured wash boilers, and hand operated washing machines, and were based in Lancashire, Burnley I think it was.
The fire if I remember correctly, had 4 radiants, the outer case was mainly teak, and the operating knob was on top of the case on the right.
It was quite a good fire.

At the time this fire was selling well, most fires of this type were deliberately restricted in efficiency to less than 65%. The reason for this was that any higher efficiency would lead to problems with condensation in the flue. The products of combustion would not be hot enough to rise upwards and go out of the chimney, and a flue lining would have been necessary. That would have severely restricted the sale of gas fires, which neither the gas industry or the manufacturers wanted.

Why have they told you that a flue liner is necessary? Have you got damp patches appearing on your bedroom walls . Are you getting fumes into the room? Sometimes this can happen if you have downdraught into the room. The cause can be lack of ventilation into the room, for instance draught strip round the windows, and a fitted carpet, meaning that if you are sitting in there with a closed door, there is very little fresh air getting into the room. Another cause is often a brick dislodged in the chimney, which is easily put right by a builder, who can access the chimney in the loft.

I would imagine the firm has now gone out of business, but I may be wrong. I will try and find out some more information for you, and if I am successful, will post it here.

Hi Sandwell,
Thank you so much for your help so far. Its really appreciated.
Is there a way of sending you a personal email with further information on this situation?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
themum

Regrettably this forum has no facility for private messages, and to post an email address on here would be too dangerous, and I doubt if it would be allowed anyway

If you think I would be able to give you any further information the only way would be to use a forum that does allow private messages.
The one I use every day is http://www.idf50.co.uk/

If you do want to register on it, I would be looking out for you, and contact you. I have a different user name on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back