Radiator advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a towel radiator in the upstairs bathroom 1metre off the floor, it bleeds fine with no air but the water doesn't circulate so the rad stays cold.
I've tried turning all other rads off in the house but no good.
Any ideas?
It's a gravity fed system btw

Sponsored Links
You'll often find modern rad valves are too restrictive to get enough flow on a gravity system.

And it might well be plumbed in, er, sub optimally ;)

You'll often find modern rad valves are too restrictive to get enough flow on a gravity system.

And it might well be plumbed in, er, sub optimally ;)

Thanks for that, although i don't think it's plumbed in wrong....the inlet and outlet are on the same way as the previous convector radiator that was there.

Interesting you should mention modern valves being restrictive 'cos the inlet pipe gets warm up to the valve, but as mentioned i turned off all the other rads in the house you'd have thought there would be enough pressure to push the water through?

Sponsored Links
the inlet and outlet are on the same way as the previous convector radiator that was there.
Are both valves open?
Have you rebalanced the system?

There is only adjustment on the flow valve not the return.

Not sure what 'rebalancing' is (excuse ignorance) if it's turning all the rads off and then with the boiler fired up, opening the flow valves to reach a decent temp on each valve - then, yes i've done that, all ok apart from the towel warmer

might be an idea for you to define what you think is a "gravity system"

thats not a poke btw
;)

.....got a conventional boiler, an expansion tank in the loft, a pump and a motorised valve (CH/HW) by the immersion heater

This:
The air valve is the thing on the end of the pipe sticking up on its own between the cylinder and the motorized valve.

The valve should be above all radiators. I suspect that the valve is below the top of the new rad.

Is the air valve done up tight? It shouldn't be, otherwise any air cannot escape.

This:
The air valve is the thing on the end of the pipe sticking up on its own between the cylinder and the motorized valve.

The valve should be above all radiators. I suspect that the valve is below the top of the new rad.

Is the air valve done up tight? It shouldn't be, otherwise any air cannot escape.

Ok this might be the problem. Does it need to be extended?

Plus yes it is tight - if i loosen it to bleed the system first any air then water comes out

There is only adjustment on the flow valve not the return.

Are you sure? On some valves you have to remove the top and adjust with an allen key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back