Radiator bleed nipple sheared off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the bleed nipple sheared off on a double radiator - see pic.

I'm really annoyed I didn't spray some wd-40 in there to see if it would free it up. Hindsight eh!

I wondered if it is possible to repair it. Maybe try to carefully drill out the broken nipple with a small drill bit. Is this possible? Are new bleed nipples available ?

Could I somehow tap a new valve?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sometimes if you use a left-hand drill, the torque and vibration will get it out

However you must be careful of brass swarf falling inside the radiator as it causes pin-hole corrosion

I see no screwed plug in your rad. Is there anything at the other end?

If you have a dremmel or similar maybe you could, at a pinch, score a line across what is left so a slot-head screwdriver might grip it? Just an idea...

sometimes if you use a left-hand drill, the torque and vibration will get it out

However you must be careful of brass swarf falling inside the radiator as it causes pin-hole corrosion

I see no screwed plug in your rad. Is there anything at the other end?

I figured if I drill it, I should probably take the rad off so I can flush any bits of filings. I'm not sure what you mean by screw plug. The other end looks exactly the same, but minus the bleed valve i.e. it's just blank.

Sponsored Links
If you have a dremmel or similar maybe you could, at a pinch, score a line across what is left so a slot-head screwdriver might grip it? Just an idea...
Interesting idea, I don't have the tool to do that, but maybe it's possible.

most radiators have a steel plug screwed into the end, that the bleed pin screws into, and in this case you can remove the entire plug and fit a new one. Yours does not appear to have them, so the job is more difficult.

those rads are a b`gguer :cry: you could drill the end right out and then braze a 1/4 inch bsp air vent in , well I could because I`ve got the kit - but what would it cost if you found someone . Any metal workers near you :confused:

Its easy enough to get a drill which is known as the tapping drill size for the relevant thread size which I think is 1/8" BSP.

When you have drilled it out the you use a plug tap to retap it.

BUT the tapping only goes in a short distance to a reduced size "cone" against which the original screw creates a valve.

If you were clever you could recreate this but if not its easy to create a plug bolt with a PTFE tape seal on the threads.

Tony

Yeah why mess around. Your time is surely worth something to you. New rad. :mad:

Personally I'd probably get a new radiator, the fact that's rusted so solid suggests the inside is probably in a similar condition :)

If you want to try getting it out, drill a pilot hole then try a screw extractor on it?

5.5mm drill dead centre or new rad.
Dremil wont work will slot rad before you slot nipple.

Drill hole on top, air out, screw in, not hard, but get help if your unsure, Watch everything they do, as they hate that, :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back