Radiator directly above a socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to space considerations, I would like to install a radiator directly above a 3-gang socket recessed into the wall. I have looked online and I cant find anything to say this firmly isnt allowed, but I understand the issue of a water filled unit near a socket.

Can anybody advise about this? Sketch of my plan attached....

The rad is 400mm wide, therefore valves roughly 550mm apart. A 3-gang socket is 200mm wide and will be placed centrally.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a sparkie, but I think it's probably allowed. However, it always stands out as a DIY screw up when one notices this. (even if it was intentional.)

There will be no regulation saying pacifically that a socket outlet, cannot be paced in an accessible position beneath a radiator.

The regulation will state that provisions for safety are in place, under the likelihood of requirements for ingress protection and the effects of heat.

In this case it would really be a common-sense assessment by yourself, or the installer, whether the dangers or potential dangers are high enough for the needs to apply any addition protection, or exclude the socket completely.

I would say providing the radiator is not leaking and a sufficient distance is left, to prevent overheating of the socket outlet and any equipment attached to this, it would be okay but not ideal.

How do you mount the radiator on the wall while still ENSURING that the vertical cables buried in the wall are not drilled in to?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Heat RISES, so if the radiator is a reasonable distance from the socket (i.e. the socket is at skirting board level) it should be OK.

How do you mount the radiator on the wall while still ENSURING that the vertical cables buried in the wall are not drilled in to?

Nozzle

Very easily I imagine. The mounting brackets need to be fitted outside of the safe zone created by the socket.

Not many radiators have brackets closer together than the width of a triple socket.

I have a traditional brick build so the cables from the socket run downwards and under the floorboards. I know aesthetically it isn't great but I was worried I was missing a technical reason to not to do it. Needs must in a smaller house! Thanks all for replies and opinions.

Waterlily-resized.jpg

Yes I had considered a very tall thin rad but they would still take up more room side by side. My plan is for furniture either side of my setup therefore maximum space is needed and a tall thin rad would show above the top of the furniture which wouldn't look great. Thanks again all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back