Radiator install & solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've only ever installed rads before with suspended floors, pipes up from below.

House I've just bought has a solid ground floor so ground floor pipes must come from above.

Just wondered what people thought was the best/easiest way of having the pipes exit the wall into the valves?

Do you take the pipe straight out of the wall into a valve that's been fitted horizontally rather than vertically?

Or do you fit the vales as normal and have the pipes exit the wall and loop back up into the vertical valves? like this http://www.channel4.com/4homes/imag...ator/Radiator-Lg--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg albeit slightly less crap looking.

I've also seen the 'guide and seal' plates for push fit valves which seem quite simple, http://www.bes.co.uk/products/graphics/18322.gif

Sponsored Links
Personally, I go for the second option. However, this may cause a problem should you ever need to remove the rad since there's no room to move the valves sideways, although this can be resolved by a bit of imagination.

that top one looks crap , even if it were made to not look crap it would still look crap.
what kind of pipe are you going to use? copper or plastic?
if plastic then the last picture is the way to go (make sure you put some metal trunking over the pipe inside the walls to stop people hanging paintings on them) , if copper tails i would bring them out directly behind the valves.
in my view copper tails will always look better coming up through the floor.

I edited my OP, I put the image alongside the wrong sentence.

Haven't decided whether to go with copper or plastic yet. Previously I've done long runs in plastic, then a push fit elbow and copper under each rad..

Those guide and seal things look decent but it seems all geared up for 10mm pipe only. Just a bit unsure on how solid those push fit radiator valve tails are.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28509/Plumbing/Radiator-Valves/Pegler-Push-fit-Elbow-10mm

Sponsored Links
Those guide and seal things look decent but it seems all geared up for 10mm pipe only.

It is for 10mm plastic.

What are your walls made of? Brick/block or plasterboard?
If plasterboard the pipes can be dropped inside the walls easily though you may hit a dwang (noggin?) midpoint which would mean cutting a small piece out to get past. You won't need the "glide and seal" unless solid wall. Plasterboard just cut a neat hole behind rad.

You will need the pushfit elbows, They are fine if properly inserted.

You could also use plastic trunking but not as neat.

Don't forget to replace the lockshield with one with a drain off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back