Very Simple Solid Fuel Boiler Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a woodburning stove with a few radiators.

Is there any reason why I can't use a very simple open vented gravity fed system?

There would be no pump, no motorised valves, no thermostatic radiator valves no theremostats,... nothing except the stove, pipes, radiators and header tank. Would ths setup contravene any building regulations?

The only schematic diagrams I can find are for more complex CH/HW pumped systems.

The fire is on the ground floor, all the radiators are on the first floor, the header tank would be in the loft. There are no long horizontal pipe runs, everything is stacked faitly vertically. I would be using 28mm pipe with 15mm tees to the radiators, which would large enough match the boiler output. This system would not be connected in any way to the other heating systems in the house. Seems simple, is it?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about Scottish Building Regs, perhaps someone will be along soon who does?

Gravity systems are prefered with solid fuel as with a pumped system, there is always an issue in a power cut!!

Tip: when connecting the Radiators take the Flow pipe to a Top connection on the radiator, take the Return from the Opposite Bottom tapping, this will greatly aid Gravity flow though the system ;)

Don't bother you'll soon get bored with filling it the huge quantities of
wood you'll need to generate any worthwhile heat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back