Radiator not bleeding

I know this topic is years old but thought I would post anyway as this is one of the first websites that pop up when you google radiator wont bleed.

I did what paul the plumber said and my radiator that was heating only halfway sorted itself in no time.

Sponsored Links
OK, I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for an answer I could not find...

due to high costs of heating in Europe, we only run our radiators at night on the 2nd floor at bedtime for a few hours. I noticed a few nights ago that when I turned on the heat, the radiators did not warm AT ALL. So I spoke with a neighbor and he told me I had to bleed the lines. We do not have the kind with bleed screws, just turn a small valve. When I bleed the radiators not working nothing comes out. I decided to see if this was a whole-house thing, but found that when I turned on the first floor radiators they immediatly heated. What would cause a whole floor to stop working all of a sudden and how do I fix it?

You tell us nothing about your system other than it doesn't work. To save having to read posts made 9 yrs ago, why not start anew?

I know this topic is years old but thought I would post anyway as this is one of the first websites that pop up when you google radiator wont bleed.

I did what paul the plumber said and my radiator that was heating only halfway sorted itself in no time.

Ditto for me! Found this thread googling for my half-cold radiator and did what paul the plumber suggested. Toasty-hot rad now. Thanks paul, even 9 years later!

Sponsored Links
try removing bleed screw and sticking a pin through..have come across ones that were blocked :rolleyes:
The pin worked for me. Phew and thanks! I had this exact problem and thought it was going to be a major ordeal to fix it. Previously, I'd tried a matchstick (thinking that a blockage might be the problem) but it didn't work. The pin was a good tip (literally!) - the matchstick was obviously too big.

i had just had this problem & found that the problem was my header tank was empty - the float arm mustve been stuck so it hadn't refilled. seems fine now.

thanks to previous posters for all the advice.

Hi. This is Paul, Im a plumber. This sounds very much like you have an air lock in the flow or return circuit pipes before this rad.
Solution. Close of all radiator valves on all radiators that are on that floor and run the heating as usual. After a while the rad will become hot. Bleed as usual then begin to open up the valves you closed on the other rads.
Good luck.

Hi all, in the above suggestion by Paul the Plumber, did Paul mean close "all" the rads on the floor or keep the valves open on the problem rad while running the system?

And also did he mean bleed while the system is running??

Thanks

This worked for me, I didn't know that the central heating system had to be pressurized manually. Upstairs radiator didn't bleed but I could hear it had air in it because of dripping sound inside the radiator.
There was a bar meter on the boiler, it was at 0.2 bars. It should be between 1 and 2 (my boiler seems to go up to 3).
I found the two taps that turned on the water inlet to the boiler, opened them, and BAZINGA! The water pressure immediately went up to 1.5 bar.

Now I could bleed the upstairs radiator. Also, had to readjust all radiators since water pressure is now higher. Had to increase pressure again after bleeding since it crept down below 1 bar again.
Super tip!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back