radiator / pipe tapping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi thank gawd i found this site, and hopefully will find some advice on where to look to find the fault on my radiator/pipe.

a couple of days ago the radiator (with thermostate valve) was given a heavy knock with another piece of furniture, it made quite heavy contact with the opposing side to the thermostate valve thing. basically since then that area of the radiator is making an incredible tapping noise, and literally wakes us first thing every morning.. there is no leak coming from the accused pipe/nut/radiator, but obviously somehting is a little wrong/loose, we have bled the radiator that solved nothing, should we just tighten the nut or should we be looking below the floorboards for something more serious? somehting has clearly come loose but what are the possibilities?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
natholly said:
hi thank gawd i found this site, and hopefully will find some advice on where to look to find the fault on my radiator/pipe.

a couple of days ago the radiator (with thermostate valve) was given a heavy knock with another piece of furniture, it made quite heavy contact with the opposing side to the thermostate valve thing. basically since then that area of the radiator is making an incredible tapping noise, and literally wakes us first thing every morning.. there is no leak coming from the accused pipe/nut/radiator, but obviously somehting is a little wrong/loose, we have bled the radiator that solved nothing, should we just tighten the nut or should we be looking below the floorboards for something more serious? somehting has clearly come loose but what are the possibilities?

thanks in advance

It may be something as simple as the pipe expanding and touching something it was not touching before ...ie wooden floorboard or joist ?

Sounds like the pipe has been 'crimped' against the floor boards. Try easing something between pipe and floorboards. such as a bit of rubber matting, anything to absorb the expansion.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back