Radiator pipes trickling sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my radiators is making a dripping sound from the pipes going to the radiator, I don't have this issue with any other radiators in my property.

The radiator gets piping hot and has no air in.

When I did some research online about this issue it talked about how making sure the flow return is set correct.

I have attached a picture and was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is set correctly or not?
pt4wHZT.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could be a bit of crud in the rad being moved around by the water flow?

Sponsored Links
Pipes are coming from the ceiling not the flooring.
Perhaps, then, an airlock in the pipework above the ceiling, probably on the flow (hotter) pipe.
Turn off all the other rads (at the one end with the wheelhead operator or TRV), run the circulating pump at full speed, and see if the trapped air can be pushed into that one working radiator, often with a further gurgle.

Perhaps, then, an airlock in the pipework above the ceiling, probably on the flow (hotter) pipe.
Turn off all the other rads (at the one end with the wheelhead operator or TRV), run the circulating pump at full speed, and see if the trapped air can be pushed into that one working radiator, often with a further gurgle.

Yes, I'm suspecting the same. It seems to be a not-uncommon issue (forgive the double negative but I wouldn't say it is necessarily 'common' as such) with radiators piped from above and, as @MeldrewsMate says, is a result of trapped air in the flow pipe. The noise of the water running past this trapped air (as a trickle like you say, or some describe it as a waterfall) reverberates round through to the radiator giving the impression that's where the source of the noise is. Cutting out flow through any other route might well shift the air to the radiator (fighting against gravity of course hence why it needs any help it can get) at which point it can be expelled. Leaving it to sort itself is another option which seems to often work, whether that's due to the air finding its own way round or perhaps being gradually absorbed into the water I don't know.

Thank you.
I turned off all the radiators except this one using the TRV and switched on the heating and I did hear a gurgle.
All seems to be fine now.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back