Radiator size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening!

I need a replacement radiator in my bathroom. I took the old one out months ago due to a leak in the actual radiator. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the size of the old one but it did heat the room fine.

Having been on several BTU calculators, I am getting a wide variation in the BTUs required to heat the room - anything between 1325 and 2701!!! After looking at this previous post it seem this is fairly common. :LOL:

Can any of anyone give me an idea on how many BTUs I actually need to heat my bathroom!

L = 2.3m
W = 1.8m
H = 2.3m
Walls = 220mm solid brick
Roof = flat roof with 50mm insulation
Floor = solid concrete on ground floor
Window area = 0.9m²
Outside walls = 3
North facing = No

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you do it in imperial and give me a day to get my Mears calculator back from my M8 :oops:

Hope this helps.

1.Measure volume of room in cu.ft. i.e length x width x height.
2.Multiply by 5x for living rooms/dining rooms, 4x for bedrooms, 3x anywhere else.
3.Add 15% for rooms facing north.
4.Add 20% for french doors.
5.Deduct 10% for double glazing.

This will give the required BTU for your rad.

Sponsored Links
Hope this helps.

1.Measure volume of room in cu.ft. i.e length x width x height.
2.Multiply by 5x for living rooms/dining rooms, 4x for bedrooms, 3x anywhere else.
3.Add 15% for rooms facing north.
4.Add 20% for french doors.
5.Deduct 10% for double glazing.

This will give the required BTU for your rad.
Hi Fanboy. It does help but there is no mention of the adjustment for three outside walls. :(

I think this is the main reason I am getting such varying calculations from the online guides. :confused:

try heatweb.com or co.uk. they have flash tools.and one is for rad calcs.i use it,i compare it to my mears gauge now and again and theres not that much of a difference.

by using mears i come up with a requirement of 3600 btu taking in the solid floor and 3 outer walls which bump the heat required up considerably.

Cheers for your advice guys.

I also had a figure of around 3850btu in mind - it's somewhere in the middle and seems to be the result of the calculators that offer more options when you crunch the numbers. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back