Radiator Tails - into Wall or Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has the norm changed? I seem to remember that the pipework used to come out from the floor, but more recently, the norm seems to be the wall?

Which is better / preferred?

(My contractor has recommended the floor as it is easier to access / service if there is an issue)

Sponsored Links
I prefer wall as it looks better and helps with cleaning the floor/vacuuming/painting skirting boards. As long as pipes in wall are properly soldered and wrapped in duct tape you'll have no issues. You can go really minimalist and use corner valves with unions - that way you'll only see the minimum of pipework and will still be able to remove the rad easily in the future.

All because modern houses are plasterboard with a void behind that the pipes are run through before the plasterboard is fitted, older houses have brick walls with plaster onto the brick so the pipes were run under the floors and up to the rad

Sponsored Links
You can go really minimalist and use corner valves with unions - that way you'll only see the minimum of pipework and will still be able to remove the rad easily in the future.
Please can you clarify what you mean. I was intending to use Drayton TRVs.

All because modern houses are plasterboard with a void behind that the pipes are run through before the plasterboard is fitted, older houses have brick walls with plaster onto the brick so the pipes were run under the floors and up to the rad
Most of my rads are going on external walls under the windows. Would they therefore be chased into the brick/plaster?

expensive way to do it but it can be done , I would run them under the floor and up through the floorboards, my whole house is done this way as are most older houses

Our house is brick/ solid walls so would be a nightmare chasing in all the pipes and a nightmare to access later if needed.

Our house is brick/ solid walls so would be a nightmare chasing in all the pipes and a nightmare to access later if needed.

So is mine... 1930s brick built... Couple hrs per rad to chase and set tails in the wall... Piped up in copper from under the floors... Why would you need future access?

I will double check, but think that my spec allowed for rad tails from walls. Wanted to be sure that this was the best option.

I have only ever chased rad pipes into a brick wall once and that was because it was becoming a wet room, I dont see the point unless you or your wife have OCD about seeing some pipe, each to their own and if that is what you want and you are willing to pay for it then totally up to you, I for one wouldnt entertain you if you asked me to do it for every radiator, but there are some that need that kind of work, I dont

unless you or your wife have OCD

Bit harsh mate ;)

@RichA it's purely an aesthetics thing and won't affect performance.
I wouldn't suggest it for a standard radiator upgrade project but would do it if asked and I get colleagues in to do the exposing/chasing/making good/decorating at the appropriate cost.
On refurbs where rooms are stripped and floors are up, the few select builders that I choose to work with, give the customer the option.

Bit harsh mate ;)

@RichA it's purely an aesthetics thing and won't affect performance.
I wouldn't suggest it for a standard radiator upgrade project but would do it if asked and I get colleagues in to do the exposing/chasing/making good/decorating at the appropriate cost.
On refurbs where rooms are stripped and floors are up, the few select builders that I choose to work with, give the customer the option.
sorry Didnt mean to sound harsh, as already said if the customer wants to pay the extra to have the pipes chased into the wall of course that is completely up to them, but totally just a preference thing , wont make any difference to how the rad works

No probs. It is a whole house refurb so all walls are being plastered/skimmed/decorated anyway.

I understand that the builder has already priced it in. Makes sense to go to floor tails for 1st Floor/carpeted rooms but I am inclined to keep wall tails for G/Floor where there are tiles to avoid pipe collars.

[And I have OCD ;)]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back