Radiator tails - Short as possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this rad that seems to have long tails which is stopping me from putting a nice cover over it. If I can just shorten each side by 1cm or 2cm then it will fit.

20170304_214454.jpg

I'm scratching my head on how to go about this because the ones that I can see in Screwfix seems fairly long as well. Can someone please give me an example of which to buy or how to make the gap as short as possible.

I have another rad where the valves on both sides seem to screw directly into the rad. Much shorter!

20170304_214416.jpg

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
there is an extension piece on your first pic,it can be removed and tail put straight into rad,you will need to alter the pipe though.

Don't forget that if you cover it you'll alter the flow of convected heat. This may well make the room seem colder for a given heat input to the radiator.

there is an extension piece on your first pic,it can be removed and tail put straight into rad,you will need to alter the pipe though.

Thanks, I've now taken that bit off, the cover now fits and everything seems to be working fine!
I'll take the new one I bought (just in case) this morning from Screwfix back later.
I also had to move the rad about 30cm along the wall so drained the system as well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't forget that if you cover it you'll alter the flow of convected heat. This may well make the room seem colder for a given heat input to the radiator.

Yes you're right but luckily I haven't noticed much difference if any. I really don't like the look of the 'normal' rads and I believe the covers make the rooms much nicer.
It also seems these fancy designer rads not as efficient so I'd be none the warmer yet poorer!

Vanity wins over efficiency this time.

Thanks very much.

I wish folk could differentiate between "efficiency" and "effectiveness".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back