Radiator valve/pipe leaking - need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my radiator valve/pipe is leaking (you may refer to the photo, the arrow indicated the leaking point) i am seeking for an advice before i can start to diy. I hope with this diy, it does not require me to drain the system. Is it possible not to drain the system?

Btw, I have tighten it.

Kind Regards,
Harman
20160201_143829.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it won't 'nip' up, then the joint needs to be split and remade, ideally.....although you maybe could get away with undoing the nut, pulling the pipe down and wrapping PTFE around the olive before replacing it and trying again.
A drain down is needed though - or depressurising the system if its a combi.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As BURNERMAN alluded to .... If you a small cold cistern (F&E) in the attic, alongside the larger main cold cistern, then you'll need to isolate/tie up the ball cock in the F&E tank and bung up the pipe at the bottom of the tank as HERTS mentions, turn off the radiators and open that fitting until the water stops. Depending on where the rad is this could take a while.
If you don't have the small tank then it's a sealed system, then it's turn the rads off and crack open that rad vent until it stops, turn that rad off and crack the nut and catch any other water until it stops.

If you're at all unsure then call in a professional, much simpler in the long run.

I was told that i got a gravity system. To drain it, i need to the off the (arrow show on the image)?
gravitysystem.png

Have you two water tanks in the loft?
If you have, it's the smaller one you are interested in.....close off its water feed, stopper it's outlet if possible, and then you can start draining.
John :)

That valve has nothing to do with draining the CH, that's probably the gate valve that isolates the HW cistern from the large tank in the attic.

If your comfortable doing it... :unsure:.... then find the small tank in the attic and follow the instructions.... :sneaky:, if at all unsure, call someone... (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back