Radiator Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a central heating fired with BAXI combi boiler to all rooms. My central heating is set to timer.

I have noticed that even though I have switched the radiator valve to off (I had set it to * position before 1 which i assume is off) it gets heated up.

During at night, the living room radiator unnecessarily gets heated up. All of the radiator valves are Drayton with Chrome top and has a dial ranging from * to max with numbers ranging 1 to 7.

Am i missing something or the radiator valve which i am rotating to * (Asterik symbol is wrong) Please help me as I am new to UK.

Can't individual radiators be switched off at night?

Sponsored Links
The radiator will come on if the temperature is bellow about 10'c the * symbol is frost protection.

However given the time of year it is unlikely that it is cold enough to open if you remove the TRV head, and look at the bottom of it you will see a brass hex nut with a pair of longnoze pliers, unscrew this about 1/2 turn, this should cause the valve to close sooner if this is not sucessful get a replacement TRV head from a merchant (it may be cheaper to buy a complete TRV and just use the head of the new one! ;)

My central heating is set to timer.

During at night, the living room radiator unnecessarily gets heated up.
If the timer is set to OFF during the night, the boiler should not be coming on.

The only exceptions will be:

a)There is a frost thermostat to prevent the system freezing
b)The programmer has a frost setting.

Which make/model programmer/timer do you have?

If there is a frost stat, it may be near the boiler - if it's in a cold area. e.g the garage; or the frost stat may be in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back