Radiator valves made to fit with... string

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - the radiator in my spare room is an old style number with 3/4in connectors.

It is fitted to a new-style 15mm TRV and lockshield. The connector between the TRV and the radiator appears to be packed with some kind of string, presumably jammed in there to get the different size fittings to fit together without needing a bush.

I now want to take this radiator off the wall so I can paint. So the two fold question is:

1. Is this a standard way of getting old and new plumbing to fit together?
2. If I take the radiator apart I presume I will need new packing material. What might this be? PTFE tape? Regular packing string? I genuinely have no idea and can't find any mention of this either online or in the Collins DIY bible. Any hints on how to get things back together and watertight will be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A picture paints a thousand words, I dout very much that anybody would use string in place of an 1/2" to 3/4" bush.

Hemp (not string) and boss white - old method of packing joints.

Sponsored Links
There are more modern methods and PTFE tape would usually be used now.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back