Radiator will not come on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I am hoping you can help. We have just moved in to a new property and have a conservatory, which is as you can imagine fairly cold this time of year, but does have a radiator already installed.

The odd thing about this radiator is that someone appears to have installed a multimedia unit immediately above it and covering one of the valves. I have tried turning the valve but the cap just appears to kind of rotate and not really move vertically.
I have attached a couple of pics. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what the best thing to do may be?

Thanks,
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG

Simon

Sponsored Links
That cap on the lockshield valve is just for aesthetics......if you were meant to turn it, it would be knurled or have some sort of finger grips.
Assuming that is on (you'll really have to take the plastic cap off and turn the squared spindle anticlockwise to make sure) then maybe its the TRV that has stuck. Try removing the head and look to see that the pin within is protruding.
John :)

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

I have just had chance to check and the pin within the TRV will go down and spring back in to place. As such, I am guessing it is likely to be that the valve on the other side is off.

Do you have any advice for getting off the cap on the lockshield valve, as it is wedged under the unit so tightly I cannot pull it off?

Looks like you will have to carefully slice down the cap with a stanley knife, slide it off, use pliers to open valve, then slide the cap back on and rotate it so the cut is hidden at the rear.

Sponsored Links
Also if not .... Shut all rads down apart from this one ..... See what happens, if nothing happens after you have bled and checked that lock-shield valve then track the pipes back to where it gets hot

These days it is not recommended to have central heating in a conservatory, I would guess the previous owner has shut down the lockshield valve for economy reasons.

Is there a separate thermostat within the Conservatory to control that radiator.

Last edited:
A TRV on the conservatory rad meets building regs.

OP - is either pipe coming into this rad hot? It definitely sounds as if it's just the valve which is turned off. A bit of a stupid place for them to place that bit of furniture!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back