Radiators fed by microbore not getting very warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I suspect I already know the answer to this, however someone might be able to offer some words of wisdom.

I bought a 2 bedroom bungalow in the summer however now that its winter and the temperature has dropped that I have realised how poor the heat output from the radiators fed by microbore pipes is, this is even after having the system power flushed (which i will admit did remove an awful lot of dirt) The flush certainly made a difference however the performance is nowhere near as good as my previous house. There are two radiators on the system that are fed via 15mm copper and these work just fine, as well as the hot water therefore i do not think there is anything wrong with the boiler, pump or valves etc everything in my mind points towards the microbore manifolds or piping not working efficiently.

Re piping the system is not really an issue as its virtually all supplied under the wooden floor and i have done this kind of work in the past successfully, however I do not want to do this until i have exhausted all other avenues. I have attached a quick drawing i have put together of the system as it is now.

Heating as is.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would first try turning off the 15mm fed radiators then see whether any or all of the microbore ones dramatically improve.
As ianmcd says it may just be a case of balancing so the microbore radiators get their fair share of the flow.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also check the heating thermostat on the boiler is set high enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back