Radiators from Bestheating.com - anyone got any experience ?

As far as BTU's against Watts is concerned, it's the same as pints against litres. They are both measurements of the same thing, it's just one is, I guess, imperial, the other is metric.
Sorry for the digression, but the science tickles me! :)

Technically, BTU and Watts measure different quantities - BTU is a measurement of energy, whereas Watts are a measurement of power - i.e. energy divided by a unit of time - specifically 1 Joule / second.

What is listed as BTU on these companies websites, should really have the units BTU/h.

And the interesting bit..
The definition of a BTU, is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1lb of water, by 1 degree F.
This turns out to be just over 1000J (1055J).
A BTU is almost metric anyway!
The only difference, whereas Watts are Joules per second - to derive power, BTUs are usually divided by hours.

Hence...
1 Watt approximates 1/1000 of a BTU x 60 x 60
1W approximates 3.6 BTU/h ( actually 3.41BTU/h).

Anyway, I find it interesting! :D

Sponsored Links
Not with that model specifically no, I have installed lots and lots of different types of columns though, some exactly the same design. The ones you are suggested are probably one of the better columns to go for (traditional multi piped columns with air gaps) - their design is more 60/40 radiation/convection as far as their heat profile is concerned.

As far as BTU's against Watts is concerned, it's the same as pints against litres really. They are both measurements of the same thing, it's just one is, I guess, imperial, the other is metric.

Heat loss calculator concerns themselves with some basic standards, over and above the measurements input but all in all they are getting better.

All I can say though is that columns aren't as efficient at space heating as convection rads are therefore they usually take more overall energy to make a given sized space warm enough purely as they take longer to heat the space than a normal convecting rad of the same output would.

thanks @Madrab
so when you mention a normal convecting radiator, you mean a type 11, 21 or 22 type of thing ?

Sorry for the digression, but the science tickles me! :)

Technically, BTU and Watts measure different quantities - BTU is a measurement of energy, whereas Watts are a measurement of power - i.e. energy divided by a unit of time - specifically 1 Joule / second.

What is listed as BTU on these companies websites, should really have the units BTU/h.

And the interesting bit..
The definition of a BTU, is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1lb of water, by 1 degree F.
This turns out to be just over 1000J (1055J).
A BTU is almost metric anyway!
The only difference, whereas Watts are Joules per second - to derive power, BTUs are usually divided by hours.

Hence...
1 Watt approximates 1/1000 of a BTU x 60 x 60
1W approximates 3.6 BTU/h ( actually 3.41BTU/h).

Anyway, I find it interesting! :D

@RandomGrinch - thanks for your post although you lost me fairly early on there my friend :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back