Radiators heat up when hot water is selected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Gloworm Ultimate 50FF boiler that likes to cause trouble at least once a year. This years' teaser is that when I select Hot Water, it doesn't heat the water, but instead heats the radiators. Also if I turn the thermostat that controls the radiators to minimum, the radiators still heat - it ignores this thermostat setting.

Any ideas why I can't get hot water ?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What motorised valves do you have and is it 2 two port valves or one 3 port valve

It has 2 pipes going into it, some wiring to the pcb and a small gas pipe that outputs the pilot gas. If this is the correct device, then looks like 2 ports... is this also called a gas valve ?

fyi. This was replaced about a year ago for a different problem. The make is called Tandem.

EDIT - is the motorised valve likely be next to the hot water tank upstairs ? (ie not the gas valve mentioned above). It has a total of 3 pipes attached to it - so looks like 2 port - it also looks like a nightmare to replace due to the position of the damn thing.

DRAYTON 779H340-3OLO 28MM MID-POS VALVE - do you think it all needs replaced - i read somewhere there was an actuator that could be changed

get an engineer out, from your descriptions you obviously dont know anything about your boiler/system.

Sponsored Links
also if its mid position i would say its a 3 port valve - 3 pipes to the same unit.

A possible cause is seized mechanically 3 port valve or an electrical fault on 3 port valve. To see if it is electrical turn off fused spur for a minute or so then turn it back on to see if it works (it may do it again though when you have htg only next time)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back