Radiators keep heating even when the thermostat temp passed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Radiators keep heating even when the thermostat temperature has been passed. Even now that the thermostat has been replaced the problem continues. :(

Can anyone suggest another fault which might cause this to happen?

Sponsored Links
2 port or 3 port valve knackered if you have one. You haven't posted much detail on your system :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
2 port or 3 port valve knackered if you have one.

Whoa ther gas

dont get TOO technicall

:LOL:

BTW I have one too many ciders the night

:)

I have replaced the 3 port valve today but it does not seem to have had any effect.

BTW way it's an old Baxi boiler but I assume that won't shed much light on the problem. Let me know what else you need but any help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
What Baxi boiler is it? Can you hear the 3 port motor opening/closing with room stat on/off and prog on/off?

Try removing 3 port head and turning stub manually. Does it move ok? Can you feel hot water going each way correctly?

Has it been wired correctly, is there a frost stat on the system?

Right I have double checked a few things but can not find a obvious fault, however I am unsure about a couple of aspects.

- Firstly looked at the new thermostat and it appears to be wired correctly, but I don't understand whether the live to the thermostat should remain live even when the timer is off (I assume this is ok). Although I suspect that the wire from the thermostat (not the neutral) should not be constantly live even when the temperature is above thermostat setting. Any thoughts please?

- Secondly I tried to check the wiring at the junction where I connected the new valve wires to. It is difficult to tell but I am relatively happy everything is where it ought to be. However during my investigation I noticed that the cylinder thermostat switched on when I increased the temperature again despite the timer being in the off position. Could this indicate a fault with the timer? It was only replaced last year but that is probably irrelevant.

Thanks again.

Live to room stat should be dead when heating on programmer is off :eek:

Live back to boiler should only be live when programmer is on and room stat calling for heat ;)

It seems that the timer needed replacing and my confusion was helped by the fact that the new thermostat I fitted was faulty to! :rolleyes:

I thank you for your help diagnosing the fault...I am not sure I would have worked it out without your guidance :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back