Radiators recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone,
What vertical radiators would you recommend?
Years ago I bought a vertical very thin radiator from screwfix and it's the best in the house, but I don't know what brand it is.
Reading online I see that many recommend Kudox aluminium radiators; what do you think?
Also, are the btu calculators online reliable?
I was thinking that to be on the safe side, using these calculators I get a requirement of 2000btu approx, so should I look for something slightly bigger? 2500btu perhaps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The calculator asks for size of room, what is above and below, wall type, window type, but it does not ask the main question which is how fast do you want it to heat up.

So the calculator gives minimum size, very likely you want at least twice that size, if my boiler can output 8 kW to 28 kW there is no point when the time or geofencing decides I am due home turning on 5 kW of radiators. You want at least enough radiator output so the boiler is not cycling off/on.

One major point is how much will the sun heat the room? North room where only heating is the central heating is easy, but where the sun warms the room the cooler the radiator is and the less the radiator stores the better. A fan assisted radiator can reduce output very fast, and also start giving an output fast, however the building management system required means not really worth the money, however the less water in the system the faster the response time will be, however even seen heating engineers use old style cast iron radiators, silly idea, but they think they look good, same with silly 2" down lights, they must be about worst option for lighting a room, but electricians still use them because they think they look good.

So more down to what you think looks good to what does the best job.

I would love a home with all ivector 5 speed twin matrix fan assisted radiators that both heat and cool the room as required and still work with furniture in front of them, and are super fast heating the rooms in sequence, but I simply could not justify the expense.

Thanks ericmark.
Indeed, one of the bedrooms is south facing and very quickly gets warm (TRV shuts radiator at 20⁰C within 15 mins), the other is north facing with 2 long external walls, so it takes a lot longer.
So the rule of thumb is to go for double the btu result from the online calculators?
Seems a bit extreme.
I have a 2900btu radiator in the extension which requires a 2600btu accordingly to the calculators.
It's the warmest room in the house and the rad works a treat.
Could you clarify please?

Sponsored Links
I always go for the correctly sized radiator but you could go for a bit of a margin of say 10% above. Going for double the required output is just wasteful.
That's what I thought.
So for a btu requirement of 2000btu I should go for 2200/2400btu, correct?
I noticed the stelrad which are a bit more expensive than others, but have great reviews.
Any experience with them?
How's the paint on them?
And I noticed they hold very little water, less than 2 litres, does that make them more efficient? Or indeed the whole central heating system more efficient?
Thanks

Looking online, I see that Stelrad is one of the company most recommended.
Anyone have any long term experience with their vertical radiators?
Is the paint durable?
Are they efficient and work well or they tempt to get hot in patches like many other vertical radiators?
Thanks

I always go for the correctly sized radiator but you could go for a bit of a margin of say 10% above. Going for double the required output is just wasteful.
wasteful with a trv fitted, in what respect ?

Purchase cost for one. Size things properly, don't just go way over what is required and depend on the TRV.
Yeah no point getting the room up to temp far quicker and explain as you call it a properly sized one doesnt rely on the trv to keep the room at selected temp ?.
The rad calcs are the minimum size required to heat the room

Yeah no point getting the room up to temp far quicker

You can fit double the requirement if you like, I won't be doing that. Why not fit two, or three, oversized rads in a room and heat it up even quicker?

You can fit double the requirement if you like, I won't be doing that. Why not fit two, or three, oversized rads in a room and heat it up even quicker?
why not explain why you think a trv has no effect on a minimum required size rad instead of putting a stupid comment

why not explain why....

I answered a question about radiator sizing and said I would not fit a radiator which is at least double the output required, as a matter of course. You can advise differently if you like, I'm not bothered.

If you need advice on others matters it is better to start a new thread.

I answered a question about radiator sizing and said I would not fit a radiator which is at least double the output required, as a matter of course. You can advise differently if you like, I'm not bothered.

If you need advice on others matters it is better to start a new thread.
oh glad you cleared that up that you dont understand how a trv works on various sized rads in reply to my question .
And 95 % of pro`s do not fit rads to the size rad calcs come up with otherwise there would be a lot of disappointed customers out there.
You might have learnt that if you had attended an extra week after your 6 week course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back