RADIATORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

finished painting in bedroom, only radiator to paint, I have noticed that most of the paint is cracked on the radiator, whats the best method of treating this?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Prolly the best you can do is simply scrape off the paint that's peeling (and not putting up a good fight to stay on the radiator), sand down to "feather edge" the paint that's remaining and repaint.

I'd probably go with a fairly glossy emulsion paint. The glossier the paint the easier it cleans up. And radiators generally don't have to stand up to hard and frequent cleaning to get dirt off of them, so you don't need a hard drying paint on a radiator.

Ness...our emulsions over here just cant handle hot surfaces like radiators..they are far too brittle and cant cope with the expansion and contraction of the metal surface.

Thats probably the reson the paint has cracked in the first place..and being water based it cant adhere well to the shiney prefinished surface of a new rad..

Either that or it could have been caused by using unders on it..(see CC's theory)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46787

I would scrape off the worst..feather the edges as Nessy says prime any bare metal then give it a couple of coats of oil based eggshelll or satin finish...but try to remove all of the cracked stuff...or your problem may return.

Dont bother with all those fancy radiator paints..they stink to high heaven..I could also sugest undercoating it...then giving it two coats of water based gloss..but im uncertain whether thats not giving you the best advice...have a look at a recent thread and decide.

Morning :LOL: Got a reply from dulux about my theory;

Dear Mr Hughes, many thanks for your enquiry.

In responce to your question, please be advised of the following. If the
radiator is previously painted and after care preparation, I would only use
two full coats of gloss for the re-decoration process. I would only use an
undercoat if the radiator is being painted from new or you are going from a
strong colour change i.e. black to white!

I hope that this settles your discussion?

For further information on our products and services please log onto
www.duluxtrade.co.uk

With Thanks,

Jamie
ICI Customer Services

Have to confess that I've used q/d eggshell with duet / sonata effects on rads and still ok after several yrs.
Or aquatec x 2cts of gloss.
But today I gave one coat of gloss to two rads on top of factory finish. They were several yrs old and looking tired lol.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back