Radio interference when pump switches off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently noticed that when the pump which pumps water to the boiler from my thermal store switches off I get 1-2 seconds of interference on the radio.
Can anyone tell me if this is anything to worry about or just one of those things. It doesn't actually bother me in terms of annoyance, just wondering if it could mean there is a problem with the pump.

Thanks v much

Sponsored Links
It will mean that the contacts of whatever is switching the pump are arcing.

They will probably fail sometime so its better replaced soon.

The pump is fine!

Tony

Thank you for the reply.
The pump is linked to the thermostat on the thermal store, via a box on the wall.
Could you tell me if the arcing contacts will be in the thermostat itself or in the box on the wall?
Many thanks

what radio station are you listening to?

i had same problem when daughter was listening to Galaxy.......

permanently fixed to 96.3 Rock Radio now................

so much better :evil:

Sponsored Links
I dont know how yours is connected and it could be either.

It needs very careful observation or possibly a test with a scope.

Tony

question tony

shouldnt there be a cap across the switch terminals ( supressor ) same as some of the baxi gas valves :?:

just a thought btw not trying to have a pop ;)

Its not just a capacitor in the Baxi unit. Its 0.1 uF capacitor and 100 ohm resistor in series.

Virtually no other boilers have them because if the stat is in good condition they switch quickly.

However, they are probably more likely to be fitted to prolong the life of the stat as the unit adsorbs the inductive spike when the stat opens.

Unfortunately I dont know how the OPs is configured and it could be either the stat or the relay arcing.

Tony

Thanks for the replies,
the latest is that the the pump is no longer switching off once the thermal store is up to temperature...could this mean that the stat/relay has failed or more worryingly a problem with the boiler itself? If I turn the stat temperature down manually the pump does switch off.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It does sound as if the stat has failed! That is what I predicted on the 5th October!

They usually make a click as they switch! Do you remember it doing that before?

Tony

Thank you, the electrician is coming next week to have a look.
I'm confused because the stat does switch, with the clicking sound, just at a lower temp than before. I guess this could mean that the boiler isn't heating the water to as high a temp as before, something I don't want to think about!
If the stat has failed or is failing, will it still be able to switch but at a lower temp?
Many thanks

There are two aspects to a simple thermostat.

There is the mechanical action which is designed to "snap" quickly once it nhas reached the transition temperature. This is both closing and opening so that the rapid close or break causes the least arcing ( mostly a problem when opening.

Then there are the contacts which may or may not have a high resistance if they become burned or are arcing ( often as a result of a failing "snap" action ).

A well designed switch has contacts designed to "wipe" sideways slighty to mechanically clean the contacts every time thye sritch.

The stat also has a built in hysteresis. This is a small difference between the opening and closing temperatures, often about 2-5° on a boiler thermostat, less on a room stat, often about 1° C on a mechanical stat and 1/2 or 1° on an electronic stat, sometimes selectable.

On an older simple boiler the hysteresis is used to create the anti cycling delay.

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks again for the reply.
By 'hysteresis' do you mean the differential?
The stat on the thermal store has a differential of 6 degrees.
Before the problem began the stat would click and turn the pump off at 75 degrees and turn the pump on again at 69 degrees.
Now the pump just stays running unless I manually adjust the store stat and the stat reads from 64 to 70 approx.
What I cannot tell is if the water temp coming from the boiler has actually lowered (i.e. the boiler has a fault) or the stat has a fault and is clicking open and closed at an incorrect temp.

Hope that makes sense.
Many thanks

I think that hysteresis is the correct word for a mechnical stat but differential could possibly be used for an electronic stat.

A system may be explicitly designed to exhibit hysteresis, especially in control theory. For example, consider a thermostat that controls a furnace. The furnace is either off or on, with nothing in between. The thermostat is a system; the input is the temperature, and the output is the furnace state. If one wishes to maintain a temperature of 20 °C, then one might set the thermostat to turn the furnace on when the temperature drops below 18 °C, and turn it off when the temperature exceeds 22 °C. This thermostat has hysteresis. If the temperature is 21 °C, then it is not possible to predict whether the furnace is on or off without knowing the history of the temperature.

Tony

Hi again
Well the electrician came and tested the pumps and the store thermostat and connections and could find nothing wrong.
He also said that there wouldn't be arcing becuase the current is too low.
I have no idea if this is true or not.
Plumber is next to come and have a look.

A couple of other questions that I am wondering about...
I have an Ideal Classic HE12 boiler which heats the thermal store. Does anyone know if there is a pump over run built into this boiler or not?
If not is it necessary to have one?
The reason I ask is because when the thermal store stat is satisfied it switches the boiler off straight away and sometimes I get what sounds like a ratchet type noise from inside the boiler...
As far as I know there are no valves on my system so could it be a valve in the boiler? Or momentary boiling of water as it stops right next to a still red hot heat exchanger?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back