Radon of the Lost Ark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radon sump under the house terminated to the air at ground level with a 4" soil pipe connector cemented into the ground.

six plumbing suppliers all said that I need a section of pipe to put in the connector then fit a mushroom (I have that) into it.

NOT ONE OF THEM will sell me a piece of pipe less than 3m long! I said I'll buy something else for just a foot length of it!

What service(!) :evil:

Any ideas please?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Have a nose in a few skips, the orange underground stuff is the same size, might find an offcut, or ask a local builder or plumber who may have an offcut spare. I have a piece here but my throwing aim isn't very good.... :LOL:

They buy it in in three metre lengths and tradesmen only want three metre lengths, if they chop a bit off the end what do you suppose they're going to do with the rest of it!?

Screwfix sell one metre lengths for £7

Cheers Hugh. If you can throw it with any accuracy all the way to Cornwall, I'll send you a pasty the size of your head!

Muggles: no I don't expect anything from them except inflexibility and poor customer service. How much would it cost to keep a few off-cuts? If I treated my customers with indifference I wouldn't even be able to afford a pasty for Hugh!

Not a prob though, I'm chilled now and will go-a-hunting.

Sponsored Links
it is also sold in short lengths as duct for extractor fans and cooker hoods. Look in the ventilation shelves.

I'd happily post it to you in exchange for a pasty that size! :p

Unusual for the independant merchants not to want to help, my local chap will happily sell a odd piece of copper, waste or soil pipe if it'll help someone.

you aren't the only one, i needed a piece of 35mm copper 4 inches long had to buy a 3m length & the rest has been sat in the back of my van for the last 8 yrs

NOT ONE OF THEM will sell me a piece of pipe less than 3m long!
Your corner shop will not sell you 3 slices of bread, a small chunk of butter, 3 spoons of marmalade, a teabag and a splash of milk for your breakfast.
It comes in 3 metre lengths. Why should they cut you a metre on the off chance that they'll be able to sell the remainder?

I said I'll buy something else for just a foot length of it!
Good for you. That'll bankrupt them! :rolleyes:

Thanks Charnwood, you've made the point I was trying to make infinitely better than I did!

Hate to gain-say you Charnwood but that is exactly the sort of thing my "corner shop" will do for its customers ... it has a sort of makeshift "cafe bit" in the back behind the loaves and jams.

Business is about financial risk. My customers expect me to bend over backwards for them and smile about it too! :)

Wow, cheers mate! You are FAR more helpful than some blinkered individuals. :p

I'll try those options.

BTW, sorry muggles, I missed the £7/m comment, cheers. ;)

So! A friendly supplier cut-off a bit of pipe, now I have all bits!

Do the seals, which are like rubber rings, need any kind of grease or something to make them water-proof?

Ta.

a smear of silicone grease is best. Not widely stocked but a plumbing place will have it, and it will last for years.

motorists shops sell it in spray cans, which works out more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back