Rads getting hot when they shouldn't

yes take the lid off and have a look.

when you put the hw on the valve will fall to hw only by a spring not the motor.
hw only is its relaxed position where it would say if you removed all power from the valve.

the motor will only come in to play if you want hw/heating or heating only.
jeez yer such a star
gonnagetit.gif

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes take the lid off and have a look.

when you put the hw on the valve will fall to hw only by a spring not the motor.
hw only is its relaxed position where it would say if you removed all power from the valve.

the motor will only come in to play if you want hw/heating or heating only.

When I switch to heating only nothing happens the motor only moves if i switch to hw only

When I switch to heating only nothing happens the motor only moves if i switch to hw only

that don't make sense.

if you isolate the fused spur the valve should fall to relaxed position.
hw only port open.

turn hw off at programmer and heating on and calling at wall stat.
fused spur on and the motor will wind over to heating only port.

that don't make sense.

if you isolate the fused spur the valve should fall to relaxed position.
hw only port open.

turn hw off at programmer and heating on and calling at wall stat.
fused spur on and the motor will wind over to heating only port.

Nope the motor only moves with the hw switched on - it's almost like it's reversed - never had this problem before

Nope the motor only moves with the hw switched on - it's almost like it's reversed - never had this problem before

can't say much i can't see it. but that ain't right as a motor can't open to hw. the spring does it.

Me again - just been to B&Q they do a replacement Sunvic three port valve for £40 - is this something a novice could do or do I need a plumber - I assume I need to drain the system down ?

Me again - just been to B&Q they do a replacement Sunvic three port valve for £40 - is this something a novice could do or do I need a plumber - I assume I need to drain the system down ?
You may not need to change the complete valve - just the actuator (box on top).

1. Have you checked that the valve is the correct way round? The port marked A should go to the radiators; the port marked B to the HW cylinder. If it's the wrong way round, that needs to be put right first. You should also check the valve has been wire correctly.

White to room thermostat output
Grey to programmer HW OFF and HW cylinder stat Satisfied.
Orange to HW cylinder stat Call and boiler on
Blue to neutral
Earth to earth!

2. Have you checked if the valve spindle is stiff? Remove the actuator and try rotating the valve spindle - it may only move 20° or so from port A open to port B open - depends on the valve. A stiff valve can sometimes be eased with a small amount of WD40 or similar lubricant.

If the valve is OK and wiring OK but the problem is still there, replace the actuator.

You may not need to change the complete valve - just the actuator (box on top).

1. Have you checked that the valve is the correct way round? The port marked A should go to the radiators; the port marked B to the HW cylinder. If it's the wrong way round, that needs to be put right first. You should also check the valve has been wire correctly.

White to room thermostat output
Grey to programmer HW OFF and HW cylinder stat Satisfied.
Orange to HW cylinder stat Call and boiler on
Blue to neutral
Earth to earth!

2. Have you checked if the valve spindle is stiff? Remove the actuator and try rotating the valve spindle - it may only move 20° or so from port A open to port B open - depends on the valve. A stiff valve can sometimes be eased with a small amount of WD40 or similar lubricant.

If the valve is OK and wiring OK but the problem is still there, replace the actuator.

Hi Thanks for the advise I'll check those things out over half term - can you buy just the actuator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back