rads getting warm when hot water only on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, after the hot water only has been on some of the rads seem to be warm.. the heating zone valve is off (i can manually open it and it springs back to the off position) but the pipe work behind the valve does get warm after 15 mins or so, sao i think the zone valve must be letting some water through. Is it possible to adjust them or do you think i need to put a new one in? (cant remember the make of it at the moment, but its a 2 port one.)thanks Chris

Sponsored Links
Probably crap in the system stopping the valve from shutting or valve gone.

the installation is only 2 years old (new build house), how often would you recomend flushing the system, is it worth doing this?

Sponsored Links
should i use something like x400 and flush that through too for a while and then what kind of inhibitor should be put in after that?

Better to use X800 and run foir four hours on low heat.

Then flush out and add X100 inhibitor.

Tony

should i use something like x400 and flush that through too for a while and then what kind of inhibitor should be put in after that?
First you should establish what the actual problem is, not guess and treat one of the options.

If you dont have the skills yourself then the answer is usually to call a professional !

If you dont have the skills yourself then the answer is usually to call a professional !

I am very confident and good with jobs like this. I am an electrician by trade but do some plumbing jobs for family and friends.. I know I have the knowledge to drain the system and either fit a new valve or flush it out, but what is the best way to establish if its the valve or just crap in the system? Drain it down and take the valve out anyway for inspection? Thanks for your replys. Much appreciated.

Take the valve apart and have a look at it. Usually, the actuator will come off, then you can remove the rotor part without disconnecting any pipework.
If there has been crap inside, then look for wear or scoring on the rotor.
Check that there isn't a pressure relief valve in the system that could be bypassing the zone valve.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back