Rafter top plate birdsmouth

Cheers noseall. On the right you appear to have done what I was asking about above ie cut block course about 150mm high supporting wall plate on top of a standard (?) lintel but can’t see it that clearly so could be wrong. I guess the fact that my openings wider may be the issue tho.

Sponsored Links
Bco confirmed lintels ok so I cracked on. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• B5087553-0F3B-4B71-92A5-88F58C43B4D2.jpeg
    B5087553-0F3B-4B71-92A5-88F58C43B4D2.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 158
Bco confirmed lintels ok so I cracked on. Thanks for the replies.
It is best not to fix the HD straps until the rafters have been fitted, as they can clash. Plus you may need to wriggle the plate about a wee bit if things are off on the bearing wall - i.e. wall out of upright or bulging etc.

Oh, and never EVER use non-thermally compliant masonry on the inner leaf - i.e. bricks instead of lightweight coursing bricks or cut aerated blocks.

And please sort out those overhanging traps on those boards.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I can take em off if needed, but hoping not to have to. Just didn’t want it going anywhere before I next get to work on it.
Agree re the bricks, but seen it done SO many times by builders (including decent ones) I guess it gave me an excuse to be sloppy. Point taken tho and seeing as you’ve told me off I won’t be doing it again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back