rafters cut short and timber nailed to them, is that ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i'm having a small first floor extension done with a hipped roof. the carpenter thought the existing rafters were sitting on top of the new steel beam whereas they were meant to be on the side of the steel and cut them too short by about 6". what he's done is nailed new 4x2 to each rafter he's cut short so that they can attach to the side of the beam and these run up just past the purlin. 3 of the rafters have been cut anyway with double trimmers to allow access from the loft into the new loft area.

i've attached a couple of pics but is that ok do you think? i've got the building inspector coming next week, but would appreciate some advice as to whether that's adequate and likely to meet building regs?

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
Why ask a bloke on the internet when the person who needs to be happy with it is coming next week. Email your BCO son some pics?

Probably is OK, but as above, it's basically down to your SE and building inspector. The fixings will be the important bit, in our extension I was concerned about the splices old to new rafters but the SE didn't bat an eye lid.

Structurally it will be fine, as long as there is a reasonable number of nails. As the tiles are off, the rafters will hardly be carrying any weight, and the shear force at the end will be low.
Your building inspector will most likely have a different opinion, though.

Sponsored Links
As an unqualified person, wouldn't it be better with "the missing bit" added back in?
With a fresh bit of wood added on each side as a splint?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back