Rag bolts ? anchor bolts ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I have a bit of advice please ? I want to anchor barriers into concrete that is 6" thick. I always thought that the term used for the expanding type of bolt that I need is a rag bolt but it seems as if a rag bolt is used for setting into concrete while it's being laid and that I really need an anchor bolt.

Confused dot com here. Many thanks for any replies. I am looking at about 19mm-ish diameter and at least 100mm long.

Sponsored Links
A rag bolt has flared or other shaped ends and shaft, so when its buried in (wet) concrete prevents it from turning and pulling out.
An expansion or anchor bolt (Rawlbolt) is dropped into a drilled hole, and wedges in the end grip things tight.
John :)

The bolt your after is called a "thunder" bolt.
You won't need 19mm diameter.
12mm should be plenty at 100mm depth.

Sponsored Links
Chemical fixings would suit you best. Google "Anchorset"

Thank you for that. I did have a look at that Everbuild product. Can you tell me why this is better than a Rawlbolt please. I am not near the edge of the concrete floor that I want to fix into.

I was doughtful when I first tried them to fix 50 x 200mm oak to a wall. The Oak was bowed but 12mm chemical anchors allowed me to pull a 50mm bow against the wall. They are simple to do and extremely strong and you will likely get 20mm studs with them. Also you do not need a much bigger hole for them, for example a 12mm rawlbolt needs a 20mm hole whereas a 12mm chemical anchor needs 14mm hole, so less drilling.

I was doughtful when I first tried them to fix 50 x 200mm oak to a wall. The Oak was bowed but 12mm chemical anchors allowed me to pull a 50mm bow against the wall. They are simple to do and extremely strong and you will likely get 20mm studs with them. Also you do not need a much bigger hole for them, for example a 12mm rawlbolt needs a 20mm hole whereas a 12mm chemical anchor needs 14mm hole, so less drilling.

Great, that was really helpful to hear about specific experiences. I will probably give them a go. Thanks again.

One further tip Scooby, the chemicals (mixed in the tube as you work) set pretty quick, so read the instructions carefully and if you have many to do it's worth having assistance so one can squeeze the chemical in and the other can fix the stud and clean off surplus. Also you need to clean all dust from the hole, I used an air gun on a compressor ( with mask and goggles) but I think the suppliers can supply a hand operated air thing.

One further tip Scooby, the chemicals (mixed in the tube as you work) set pretty quick, so read the instructions carefully and if you have many to do it's worth having assistance so one can squeeze the chemical in and the other can fix the stud and clean off surplus. Also you need to clean all dust from the hole, I used an air gun on a compressor ( with mask and goggles) but I think the suppliers can supply a hand operated air thing.

The reason for the original question is that I have to fix a crash barrier (which I have to cut into two equal lengths) to a concrete floor. I am going to make 4 upstands (2 per barrier) to hold the barriers, probably out of 100mm channel and I wondered what was the best way of fixing them. I did a bit of reading up and it would appear that it is very important to have a dust-free hole. I also have a portable compressor so that should not be a problem.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Best of luck with your project. Can you let us know how you get on.

Chemical anchored thunderbolts.
Will be there for ever. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back