Rain getting under external inward opening doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have external double doors opening inward from my bedroom onto a stone staircase. There is a large wooden weather bar at the bottom of the doors, and a rubber covered metal strip sticking up from the sill. This is the arrangement on the downstairs doors and that seems to work fine - but upstairs the wind blows rain over the strip and under the door - there's about a 2mm gap. What's the best solution to stop this happening? Does it need a completely new system or is there anything extra I can fit to fill the gap (I tried standard "draught strip" -the squidgy rubber variety - but that didn't achieve anything).
Cheers, Martin

Sponsored Links
If the rubber strip is held in a slot you could figure out how to remove it and replace with bigger blades. See if can get a good close up shot of the holding channel, post it so we can see and advise...pinenot :)

you need to find out exactly how its getting in it may not be via the route you think
as a temporay fix for the winter assuming the front edge off the door bottom is say 5mm clear off the bar
a 4mm bead off silicon under the front edge to act as a drip strip

Hi all, I think I have fixed the problem I described, but I now have a different issue. Under the door frame there is a stone sill. Water seems to seep through this from the outside - I can't find any trace of rain getting through the door frame now. I've attached photos of the inside and outside. Hope these are clear enough. The wall is pointed with lime mortar. It needs a bit of attention in places as some of it has crumbled away in places but immediately under the door it seems OK. Would some lead flashing under the door sill on the outside be a good idea? Or any other suggestions? With a really bad weather forecast for the next week I'd like to find a fix for this quite soon! Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
no point just looking directly level on the outside
it could be anywere above that point and only coming to light at the bottom
look all round the frame and even under a window above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back