Rain penetrates during wind; is a weather strip a good response?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has a problem where rain comes through the front door when the wind is at the right/wrong angle. Her friend reckons we might be able to stop it by inserting a foam strip inside the frame. I was hoping to get assurance that this is a reasonable approach before doing it. Where in the door frame should it be positioned? In the side with the door locks in it or the side at right angles to it?

The door is uPVC and was installed about seven years ago. I'm not sure how long the rain has been an issue though. Thanks!

dGGYAAN.jpg

3ceYzL4.jpg

tzerITj.jpg

Sponsored Links
There should be drainage holes at the front to allow any water to drain away and not collect in the base.? No foam strip will fix it.

As foxhole says , there should be drainage holes at the bottom of the frame on the front. I can't see any caps that cover these in the photos , the caps may just be missing , or there is no drainage ... a photo from outside of the bottom would help determine this.

Now , without trying to teach you how to suck eggs as they say, the handle is being pulled up when you close the door ? T he reason I ask is a lot of people don't as its not explained by installers that this needs to be done. If the manufacturer were called out it is the first thing he would ask, as by engaging the full locking mechanism you are locating the locks and allowing the full compression of the door to be achieved. If you look at a door that is just closed ( and handle not pulled up ) then you an push both the top and bottom of the door....and in strong winds, the wind may be able to move it also thus pushing it off the seals and in allowing rain in. By pulling the handle up , you are locating the locks and adding compression , and the door should no longer be able to be pushed at the top and bottom by the wind.

The lack of pulling the handle up is also one of the main reasons that wood effect and dark coloured doors ' warp ' too, as the centre is latched but top and bottom are not

Thanks for your responses but unfortunately I don't think those are the problem in this case.

There are drainage holes at the bottom and if I pour water at the top of the hole it arrives on the outside so I don't think they're the problem.

The door has been closed by raising the handle - this is necessary in order to be able to lock the door and the door is almost always locked. The black seal that the door is squashed against when locked seems fine.

Inside:
FR0WojA.jpg

Outside:

qI8R4qK.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah ok .. thats all good then ... right next thing to try is running water from a hosepipe over the door , working from the bottom up , trying to simulate the wind and rain

The reason I haven't commented on the other weatherstrip as , to me , that isn't really a cure...I'd be looking for where it is actually leaking from ...and trying to determine if it there is any damage to the seals on the frame ...AND the door sash...or if it is actually coming in elsewhere...water has a habit of coming out at the easiest point , but could be entering the frame anywhere.....

What's the bottom of the door like, is there a good weather strip on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, my own door had water bleaching through it - and the fault turned out to be the letter box seal, or lack of one.....a bead of silicone sorted it.
John :)

Do you know who fitted it? At 7 years it should still be under guarantee assuming it was fitted by a window company.
Your pics dont make it clear where the water is coming in. Check all the silicone sealant externally and redo it where needed.

Close the door on a bit of paper from outside (with the handle lifted) and see if it is held firm by the gaskets if not it may just need the keeps adjusting a bit.
Turning the Allen head bolts visible in your first pic will tighten the seal on the door.

There are so many variables but pretty much everything can be adjusted on a PVC door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back