Rainwater Soakaway/Gully Requirements for Carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has a large carport with guttering and a fall pipe, the fall pipe is not connected to a gully drain or soakaway, it just empties onto the ground at the point where my boundary wall meets my house. This is only a recent change to the carport and so it has not caused any problems just yet however I am very concerned. Previously it emptied into a water barrel which was "managed" by the owner. My neighbour passed away last year and the property was rented, over the winter the water spill from the barrel has caused my neighbours tarmac drive to lift up in parts, when we were digging out for an extension it also caused the trench to collapse. So now the fall pipe is now within 2 inches of my house which is a worse situation than the barrel. Anyone know if there are any regulations about this, I called my local building control office this morning and they said the building regs do not cover carports. Right now I'm trying to reason with my neighbour that the cost of a few feet of extra gutter to connect to an existing fall pipe is far cheaper than the cost of putting right any problems caused by the water being discharged next to my property.

Sponsored Links
Apart from getting all legal and into neighbourly disputes, I think the only way to sort it is to have a word with your neighbour or the person who owns the property.

As for this "water barrel", sounds like you're referring to a water butt, which people use to collect rainwater, which is then re-used for gardening, etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back