Raised decking over existing patio, footings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Our garden is currently two tiered.
  • Grass furthest from the house
  • then a raised (~500mm) patio made up of 600x600 concrete flags adjacent to the house
We need to install a small raised deck roughly 3400x1200x600 (WxDxH) to provide access to the back door.

I am struggling for a plan with what to do about the footings for the support posts. The general advice is to dig holes below frost line and concrete posts in place which would be fine for soil. I have lifted one of the flags to find roughly 400mm of hardcore, sat on top of what looks like another level of concrete flags which digging through is going to be a nightmare.

Would bolting 4 100x100 steel post shoes to the existing patio be sufficient or do I need to crack out the hammer drill?

Advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are plastic devices like loft legs that are designed to work in your situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back