Raised Decking PRoject

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,
Brand new here and was hoping to get some of your expertise to help me out in my first raised decking project.

Im looking to find out if my approach for how im going to build my raised decking is correct.
The decking boards will rest for 50 cm off the ground, with a total width of around 8 meters.

My plan as i see it is this, First attatch a beam to the lengh of the house, Place large posts on corners and around 1.5 meters apart for the outside lengh of the decking.
Place small stumps on paving underneath to support bearers and then place Joists on these bearers.
These would be supported with Joist hangers and brackets.

Finally lay the Decking boards over the joists.

I know im missing a lot of details but is the basic approach correct and are there any basics i should be aware. E.g. distance between joists?

Thanks for your help and if ive missed anything out that would help you in helping me, just ask and ill get the answer.

Thank again

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of the planning permission rules?

If your deck will be over 30cm high then it is not PD. Also, how much of your garden will the deck area cover (in % terms)?

Are you aware of the planning permission rules?

If your deck will be over 30cm high then it is not PD. Also, how much of your garden will the deck area cover (in % terms)?

Thanks for the reply,

No i wasnt aware of that. The doors to the back of my house are raised off the floor already, the decking will run to the level of the doors, does this still count in the 30cm rule?
The decking will be less than 15% coverage.

Sponsored Links
The doors to the back of my house are raised off the floor already, the decking will run to the level of the doors, does this still count in the 30cm rule?
How high off the ground? The important thing here is that it's 30cm off the highest point of ground level.

The doors to the back of my house are raised off the floor already, the decking will run to the level of the doors, does this still count in the 30cm rule?
How high off the ground? The important thing here is that it's 30cm off the highest point of ground level.
I
It would be roughly 50 cm off the ground which would bring it level with the back door and patio door.

Does it all hinge on neighbours potentially complaining?

It would be roughly 50 cm off the ground which would bring it level with the back door and patio door.

So underneath the door it is over 30cm?

It doesn't just depend on neighbours complaining. Nobody can say if an application would be approved or not.

How has a door ended up so high off the ground though?

So underneath the door it is over 30cm?

It doesn't just depend on neighbours complaining. Nobody can say if an application would be approved or not.

How has a door ended up so high off the ground though?

Yeah exactlyy 50cm take it to the plastic lip under the door
Not to sure why they are so high.. It's steps down and the rest of the garden is at that level.

deck3.jpg
Hmm, existing steps? Got a photo?
Yeah sure. So as you can see the steps coming down. The idea is to build it up level with the bottom of the door, where the top step rests now.

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

Why not raise the level of the garden first, to reduce the height of the decking, then no need for Planning application or indeed complaints from neighbours.

Why not raise the level of the garden first, to reduce the height of the decking, then no need for Planning application or indeed complaints from neighbours.
Would I have to raise the level of the whole garden? Or just the area under the decking. It's a pretty big garden you see.

Good idea but floored if it ever comes to the OP having to prove what the level was. Especially if the neighbours have similar garden levels.

I would whack an app in, you might get it as its pretty obvious the developer never intended for the ground level to be quite as low as it is. Or just build your deck so that you only have say one step down and then it can still be 300mm off existing ground level.

Good idea but floored if it ever comes to the OP having to prove what the level was. Especially if the neighbours have similar garden levels.

I would whack an app in, you might get it as its pretty obvious the developer never intended for the ground level to be quite as low as it is. Or just build your deck so that you only have say one step down and then it can still be 300mm off existing ground level.

Yeah I guess I'll have to go down one of those routes. May talk to the neighbour also see what they think.

As per my original postt. When I get around to building the deck does my approach sound correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back