Raised flower / planting beds ideas for supports please

OK OK, Log-Roll, is out.....

Ill look for some sleepers, or mabe these mini sleepers....
Do sleepers just sit straight n the soil or should i prepare underneath with gravel or concrete?

I love the Idea of the Toothed Brick effect.... Hows that done?
Look like one of those jobs I can do when i fancy a weekend in the garden away form her in doors....

As i think I said earlier, I want to raise the beds by only about 4 / 6 inches, then back fill with soild to plant shrubs / trees in etc...

Sponsored Links
Ive been thinking again....lol....

How easy would it be for me to create a low wall, maybe 2-3 bricks high? im thinking one brick below lawned area then two above ground, or maybe eben half brick below lawn the one and a half above to raise border that way....

Would I get away with single thikness? and how about foundation wise?

More ideas always welcome...

patience is a virtue. some of us have work to do you know! :LOL:

single skin is fine at that height and that purpose, i normally lay the top course frog down to cap it off. As for the foundation, go for about 1/2 brick below ground level. A small footing is all thats needed, about 8inches wide by 4 inches deep will be more than enough. Try to keep the brickwork to the outside edge of the footing so theres not a small amount of topsoil on top of the footing to be covered by the grass.

Sponsored Links
LOL, Cheers Thermo....

What does Frog down mean? theres a new one on me!!!!! :oops:

I can at leat make a start with the foundations this weekend, just need to find what kind of brick to use..... Knowing her in doors will want something fancy....

cheers

its the indentation in the brick that the mortar goes in. normally laid facing upwards, but you can turn the brick upside down to finish the wall

Cheers dude, understand now....

Going to crack on with the foundations this weekend, and send her indoors for the bricks....lol

Just one last quick one, if wall is to be 3 course high.... and run the length of 65 ft, how many bricks do you think ill need?

65' = 19.8m

common brick length 215mm + 10mm mortar = 225mm

19.8 divided by 225mm = 88 bricks per course

3 brick high (3 x 88 = 264 bricks)

So ill round that up to 300 to make sure ive more than enough....

Thanks guys.... I might even post a few pics is im going along...

Cheers again

Well, it seems that everyone has seen log roll edging and some have had trouble with it.

As someone who used to live in the UK, I dabbled in the production of log rolls but I was competing with my ex-boss, who had the garden centres eating out of his hand nearly. Result, I didn't have a company for very long.

Now, I live in Texas and haven't seen these log rolls anywhere here and therefore want to take advantage of not entering a currently competing market.

But, having done market research for log rolls in the UK, I would like to remind the log roll ripper-outters (and bad mouthers :LOL:) of some facts.

1) Some companies who sell log rolls in the UK are from a warmer and drier climate, like Europe. A good example of this, is if you buy a french car you will see the exhaust is not galvanised like a British car's exhaust and the exhaust rots through in a few years.

2) Most people who install the log rolls really don't know the first thing about them.

3) Of the people who install the log rolls for the first time, most can't savvy that something left free standing will not retain several tons of top soil.

4) Some companies who make them use cheaper materials to increase their profit margins - creosote instead of a safe, environmentally friendly wood stain, for instance. Some do not even use treated timber or wood stain!

5) The ultimate responsibility lies with the customer - its your money. If you don't do your homework on which company you share your money with, or do your homework on how to install them properly, it isn't the fault of the product if it breaks down. The product is only as good as the employee who makes it and the product will only work as effectively as the installer allows it to.

6) Log rolls can be a really good solution to a boring garden. Railway sleepers, whilst strong and durable, are straight and boring and therefore look somewhat out of place in a natural setting. Log rolls can bend and shape easily to give your garden a vibrant and natural feel - something railway sleepers can never do.

7) In respect of one post, if you want 6 inches above ground then put a further 6 inches below ground, I personally would disagree. Log rolls usually come without stakes or pegs to secure them in the ground. Whilst for some companies this may be a short cut, for my company it will be to allow the customer the choice of stake that comes with it. I would recommend a durable, polyethylene plastic - strong and won't rot like wood or metal. A stake at each end is not a good idea, but one every 12" - 15" or so, would work great. The ground needs to be properly prepared before installation - Mark the line of where the log roll will be. Place the roll free standing and drive stakes to at least 12 inches deep, more if possible, every so often then attach roll to stakes. Firm the ground in around the stakes. This is where most mistakes are made - don't forget the protection layer, something a bit like what goes in hanging baskets, against the back of the roll. This will serve as two-way protection - protect the soil from any chemicals in the roll and protect the roll from dampness in the ground.

not got a vested intrest then?

as a landscaper i stand by what i have said and i totally disagree about sleepers, and they can follow a curve very easily. Log roll may be fine in america but over here it is a short term solution, otherwise its a watse of money

Of course, depending on where you get your sleepers from may mean a difference in sizes, but nevertheless, can you tell me how a lump of timber measuring around 5" x 9" x 10' can bend easily :?:

Yep, log roll really does not last long at all, looks nice when in, but rots where you can's see it and one day you nudge it with the lawn mower and it falls apart.

Of course, depending on where you get your sleepers from may mean a difference in sizes, but nevertheless, can you tell me how a lump of timber measuring around 5" x 9" x 10' can bend easily :?:

with a bit o imagination. now which will last longer, that or log roll?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back