Raised Pond / Planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to build a raised area in the garden and install a pre-formed pond and back fill with soil to create a planting area all around the pond.
Now i need to know what the best course of action would be.
The height will be approx 3ft so how deep do i put the foundations and whats the best mix, The length of the wall will be approx 4mtrs and approx 3 mtrs wide so will i need to build a double wall to keep the volume of soil in ?
What bricks would suit this project bearing in mind they will be exposed to wet soil following watering and rainfall etc.
Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
not a good idea to use a preformed type totally above ground.
try 50% dig hole to just over the diameter of the pool, drop it in and pour soft sand in all the way round to ground level. build you retaining wall (i used breeze blocks on a 5"x 7" concrete foundation) then back fill the above ground with soil removing any stones remember to leave a couple of joints either side at ground level for drainage otherwise it will flood the flower beds in the winter

ok, cheers for the reply, i want to fully raise it as there will be an under 4 child, plus i intend to build a pergola over it so that i can install a net over the pond to A-keep little hands away and B- Keep herons out.
By 50/50 i am reducing the overall height and making it more child un-friendly.
Do you agree ?

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark.
I thought about sleepers but thought they would look too bland, however you have done a great job blending them in,
My idea is to make it more rectangular and whereas you have wall to wall water, i intend to install a preformed pond and have planted areas around it. makes it harder for the little ones to get to.
How much did your pond cost and how did you lay the sleepers ? straight onto the ground, slabs or foundations ??

skybluescooby said:
How much did your pond cost and how did you lay the sleepers ? straight onto the ground, slabs or foundations ??

it cost 400 for the sleepers as they are new/untreated. 200 for plants. 200 for the pergola. 500 for the pump etc.

I layered the sleepers on some dpm straight on the ground as i have a good soil sub base. there are threaded steel rods holding the sleepers together with some steel strapping inside.

i covered the inside of the pond with some 4mm foam that you use for under laminate flooring etc. 3 times making a 12mm protection for the liner and sand/foam in the bottom.

The pergola is great for keeping the heron away without the need for a net.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back