Raised Shelf for Heavy Microwave (Ed.)

Sponsored Links
Using 120mm screws as baton is quite thick but thinking the shelf might be too long currently 900mm so make 600mm so just hangs over the microwave then put another small shelf to left extractor fan for air fryer (above mess) or stick with longer shelf? Just one screw in each baton at moment. View attachment 335164View attachment 335165View attachment 335166Excuse the mess.
Assuming it's a triangular shelve i would put a baton triangulated to around 1/3 in from each end to give support towards the floating foot otherwise the shelf will sag or alternatively a bracket on top to the side going up to support that edge and be out the way
Was gonna make it rectangular. Fits shape of oven better. Is this what you mean (put baton in blue) to hold floating corner?
20240302_183023.jpg

Last edited:
...and for anyone else wishing to follow Keitai's example; I'm sure he has checked for wiring, before drilling into 'Prescribed Zones'
Actually didn't use detector. There's only one screw in each baton at the moment. U should be able to see them. There others are clearance holes. The screws are to the side of the plugs not directly above. Electrics usually run down so what's the issue?

my thoughts

in my opinion, a microwave at or above shoulder height will be awkward and possibly dangerous as your arms will be locked or near locked and only wrists giving you articulation
could you simulate the height there or elsewhere before committing??
i could off course be miles wrong but i just find hot food above elbow height a bad idea

Our m/wave is on bought for the purpose metal brackets, at face height. It fills the space between hob, and fridge/small freezer, where it has been for 20 years and it works well, is convenient. Under it, is a small prep area, to which a few years ago I added a light. Quite unnecessary, but the brackets can be hinged up against the wall, if the m/wave is removed.

I don't like worktop space being taken up with appliances, despite there being some >6m of worktop space.

Sponsored Links
Our m/wave is on bought for the purpose metal brackets, at face height. It fills the space between hob, and fridge/small freezer, where it has been for 20 years and it works well, is convenient. Under it, is a small prep area, to which a few years ago I added a light. Quite unnecessary, but the brackets can be hinged up against the wall, if the m/wave is removed.

I don't like worktop space being taken up with appliances, despite there being some >6m of worktop space.
Have u got picture of brackets?

if you are worried double up on thickness
or at least the outside leg which incidently could be 2x1if you wish lining up with the foot a near as possible to give most support

Think your onto something here Keitai, i can just see that on sale in IKEA, now we just need a suitable IKEA name for it, how about SHIET or something similar :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back