1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hidden shelf supports - how strong?

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by d000hg, 5 Nov 2015.

1. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've an off-cut from a solid oak table-top I'd quite like to use as a shelf; it's 1m long, about 20cm deep, and the wood is about 4cm thick, so it's quite a hefty bit of wood.

I'd like it to be quite slick and was wondering about using some sort of hidden/invisible bracket rather than normal under-shelf brackets. A google search shows things like this exist:

[​IMG]

But I'm a bit worried this would increase the torque applied to the wall, which is a modern internal wall (thick plasterboard on a 'wire' frame) so no bricks or wooden beams. With the shelf being heavy to begin with, is this a bad idea?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The other disadvantage is it means doing more damage to the wood of course...

4. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Those blind floating shelves are generally pretty lightweight, and its essential that the bracket poles are at 90 degrees......for a chunky shelf, it would be side supports for me.
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Where is it to be fixed, alcove? just one wall face?

6. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It might end up in a corner but I wasn't explicitly planning it that way; potentially it could be arranged so the length and one end are up against a wall but not both ends.

7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unsuitable for plasterboard walls unless there is next to no weight on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links