raising floor in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I have just installed a conservatory in my parents house but when it got to fitting the door frame I discovered that the brickie has put 1 row too many on the dwarf wall. This has left me with a very large step.
I was wanting to bring the floor level up and just wanted to know if any of you guys have any tips/ advice on the best way to go about it as I have never done it before.
I am thinking of putting down batons on to the concrete, then using plywood before tiles/ laminate flooring. Would this be the way to go and if so, what sort of damp proofing etc. is required?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but why the step?
Aren't you just left with a gap above the door-frame to fill? :confused:

No, the gap is below the door frame as I had to raise the frame up to meet/ support the roof.

I know I haven't seen the job, but I'd have thought it was easier to bridge the gap at the top.
However...
If you want to tile the floor after raising, then you'd need 1 1/4" ply, screwed down every 6/8" or so in all directions. Depending how level you want it at the door, you'd need to measure/add tile thickness, plus battens screwed to the concrete.
As for laminate, I'd do the same. You could use thinner ply, but the thinner it gets, the more it flexes when walked on.
Even though you will have laid the concrete on visqueen, the maufacturers still recommend you put another layer down before laying the laminate.
Sure you can't lower the door-frame? ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate,
I think another layer of DPM, raising and tiling is the way to go.
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back