Raising floor level in a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My grandparents have a very small kitchen. They keep their fridge freezer and w/machine in the conservatory attached.

The problem is that there is a big step (for them) down. I have suggested raising the floor level out there to match the kitchen and offered to do it for them.

The floor would need to be raised by 23cm and the existing conservatory floor is concrete.

Any suggestions as the best way to raise it or what size wood to support floorboards?

Sponsored Links
What about the threshold level of the external door from the conservatory door to the outside? Do you have to step over its threshold to get out? If so by how much? Does it open out?

Thanks for your reply. You have to step down even further from the conservatory outward.

What I was thinking was to raise half the floor level of the conservatory, so they can have their white goods at the same level as the kitchen and then have the step or a slope to the rest of the conservatory where the outside access is.

Sadly due to mobility they don't go (or have inclination to go!) outside very often at all.

Hope that makes sense!

Put in a new timber floor level with the existing, and form a step or two, or ramp outside if need be

Look at the numerous garage conversion threads for the floor

Be wary about forming small steps or unexpected slopes across floors - people forget and tend to misplace their footing

Sponsored Links
You are making a lot of work.
Suggest make up two steps either out of brickwork, timber or shutter and cast in concrete.
Risers 115mm high and treads 350 wide.
Do the same for conservatory to external path level with risers to suit the depth. Do not have front projection on treads, make them flush with riser Fit newel and hand rail if required..
These sizes will be well within the limits for mobility access.
Regards oldun

Thanks for your replies, I will seek out some garage conversion threads.

Oldun, they already have something along those lines down into the conservatory.

I know it's a fair bit of work, but I think it'll be worth it. It only works out about 4.5m2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back