Raising loft ladder hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Re-laying loft insulation in part of the house as there was next to none there. Loft ladder is screwed to a joist height batten - so about 10 cm deep and when it’s pushed up it rested on a length of plywood screwed to the joists. But now I’m putting down a top layer of insulation 17cm deep. So how do I bring the loft ladder hinge high enough so that it clears the insulation and can rest on a new board I’ll put above the insulation? Do I just screw a 17cm thick batten on top of the existing one and attach the hinge to the top of that? And if so where on earth do a get a piece of wood that thick...and screws that long? Am I missing a simpler option?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
If you need to build it up use a few pieces of 2 x 3", screw the first one down to the joist and the next one screwed to that one and so on.

Cls timber works out around 45mm thick so 4 of those and you'd clear your 170mm height.

Would the ladder still clear through the hatch with the hinge height increase

Hadn’t thought about using multiple pieces of timber. Makes sense. I’m fairly sure it will still fit but will check.

Thanks for your quick reply - really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back