Raising the pressure on a Britony Combi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't seem to raise the pressure on my Britony Combi 80 Boiler and it is really really low.

I'm turning the pressure knob in the direction it says but nothing happens.

From reading other replies on the forum I suspect there might be another tap or something I need to turn but I can't see one anywhere. I guess I need the help of someone who knows what my boiler looks like.

Please can anyone help?!

Further info. below as suggested in the forum guidelines:

Q: Boiler make / model - A: Chaffoteaux & Maury, Britony Combi 80

Q: What is / is not happening - A: Pressure is not rising when I turn the pressure tap/knob

Q3: Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently - A: No

Q4: When did it (problem) start - A: Its been a problem since I moved in over a year ago. The pressure has dropped very gradually over that time and now its very low. I'm trying to find a plumber to service it - which is easier said than done - but in the meantime it would help if I could just raise the pressure a little.

Q5: When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off - A: When the heating is on, the pressure only rises to 0.5 maximum

Q6: Anything else you feel may be of relevance - A: I don't know any technical terminology at all sorry, so please can you use plain old english if you reply

Sponsored Links
This boiler does not have a pressure knob, not sure what you are trying to adjust. (boiler isolation valves if they are black, circular and facing downwards)
Filling is normally by a filling loop, silver braided flex connected from mains supply to heating return pipe, should be close to boiler, the valve on the mains end of the braided pipe should have either a slot (use a screwdriver) or a black lever to raise water pressure.

Thank you for replying.

It has a knob very much like a plastic tap handle/knob - or like a radiator knob when there isn't a termostatic valve on. It has a 'P' on the metal part at the base with an arrow and the plastic knob itself has an arrow on the face to show which direction is closed. A screw holds the plastic knob in place.

Silver braided piping goes away from one side of the knob and copper looking piping goes away from the other. I assumed it was the pressure knob.

My boiler is at eye level in my bathroom and the knob I speak of is underneath the boiler at the back directly behind the black circular valve (the one on the right) that faces downwards. The copper end disappears downwards behind some pannelling and the silver braided bit disappears up behind the boiler and appears to reach another similar tap/knob that I can't reach easily.

There's no black lever other than the gas service tap (which I'm not touching). I can't see anything with a screw end. I've got the instruction booklet but it only show where the Pressure relief valve

I don't know what the 'heating return pipe' is I'm afraid. I'm not turning the black circular valves - they have pictures of taps or radiators next to them etched on the metal.

Regards

JLowe

Sponsored Links
the silver braided bit disappears up behind the boiler and appears to reach another similar tap/knob that I can't reach easily.
The silver braided thing should be your filling loop and the valve you want is at one end or the other of it.

JLowe said:
Thank you for replying.

It has a knob very much like a plastic tap handle/knob - or like a radiator knob when there isn't a termostatic valve on. It has a 'P' on the metal part at the base with an arrow and the plastic knob itself has an arrow on the face to show which direction is closed. A screw holds the plastic knob in place.

Silver braided piping goes away from one side of the knob and copper looking piping goes away from the other. I assumed it was the pressure knob.

JLowe

That would appear to be the filling loop then, maybe the plastic head is revolving on the shaft, can you unscrew it to check,

Thank you all for replying.

I suspected someone was going to tell me the one I need to turn is the one I can't reach! :(

I'll have a go at undoing the silver braided pipe to check the tap is opening. The tap doesn't turn very far which might suggest is isn't opening fully but when I take the plastic bit off to check, the shaft is definitely moving round as much as is does with the plastic bit on (if that makes sense).

I may have to strengthen my search for a plumber that can 'fit me in' before June! But they are like gold dust around here!

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on.

JLowe

Newly fitted filling loops often have a valve at each end of the silver thing ... If that is the case its definitely the one you cant get to that needs opening as well

Just my luck!

I'll have a go tomorrow when its daylight again and I can see better. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

JLowe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back