Raising toilet height due to new flooring..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm about to lay 5mm hardwood sheets over the floorboards of my bathroom to give it a clean, level surface to then lay luxury Vinyl Click flooring. I've done enough searching online to draw the consensus that it's better to lay the new flooring underneath your toilet/pedestal etc... than going around them. I'm just concerned that if I raise the height of the toilet will I need to buy a new pan connector to the soil pipe. At the moment it's virtually horizontal to the toilet and flushes all the waste away no trouble, but if it's raised will this cause any issues? Also with it being low-level and the cistern attached to the toilet by a pipe, will this also need to be altered in any way if the toilet height is increased?

Sponsored Links
For me, if you plant to keep the original toilet I'd floor around it with a silicone seal around the base..

20170521_140411.jpg

Sponsored Links
When the floor is finished,offer the pan up to the soil connection,measure the difference.

There are many offset fittings available,including short flexi fittings from mcalpine,depending on the existing soil connection with some adjusting it will fit.

Is your floor a laminate plank product ?

For me, if you plant to keep the original toilet I'd floor around it with a silicone seal around the base..

Thanks, just out of interest what are the strips of blue sticky tape on the wall tiling for? Just curious ;)

When the floor is finished,offer the pan up to the soil connection,measure the difference.

There are many offset fittings available,including short flexi fittings from mcalpine,depending on the existing soil connection with some adjusting it will fit.

Is your floor a laminate plank product ?

Thanks, I guess I should be okay. I know it's better to have the toilet higher than the soil pipe, but I was just wondering with the extra 5mm of plywood, then 4mm of Luxury Vinyl on top of this, would it now be too high possibly? .... but I'll do what you suggest I'm sure there will be something out there in the hardware stores to facilitate this height rise. I may have to possibly get a smaller pipe that connects the cistern to the back of the toilet inlet too. I don't really want to buy a new toilet... no need.

5mm of plywood, then 4mm of Luxury Vinyl on top of this, would it now be too high possibly
Once you remove the existing redundant pan connector then check the heights, a 12mm offset pan connector usually does the job.There may be some play in the water pipe inlet to make up the difference,same if there is an overflow.

Personally never liked laminate floor under toilets,although the adverts say its water proof (occasional splash only) have seen it de laminate on the plank joins where a gentlemans aim has not been precise.
Also the laminate is designed to float so screwing a wc pan down will prevent expansion and could cause the floor to buckle.Bet they dont mention that in their advertising.

I went for a full sheet of vinyl, laid plywood first then fitted the toilet and laid the vinyl last.

Left 5mm gap under the tiles to slip vinyl ends under (taped round edges and toilet) then silicone sealed all around the edges.

I have an unusual tiling style which tends to annoy people but gets the job done ;).

I wouldn't choose laminate either, they vinyl was a pig to fit but the best tool for the job, watertight.

20170605_182300.jpg

20170605_182553.jpg

Looks good keith... yes I will probably do it in the same order. The Vinyl is quite flexible, bendy, so hopefully I screw the toilet directly onto the plywood+subfloor and then shape the vinyl around the toilet.

The sink however was siliconed onto the pedestal and it's rock solid, so I cut my plywood around this today, because I knew if I tried to dismantle that, it would never look the same trying to put it back.

Also the laminate is designed to float so screwing a wc pan down will prevent expansion and could cause the floor to buckle.Bet they dont mention that in their advertising.

No they don't lol... I will try the offset pan connector, should do the trick.

I made a template of the bottom of the toilet and marked it on the vinyl, cut the shape out slightly smaller and it made it loads easier to cut in.

Sharp knife and take plenty of time over it.

Thanks, well I'm quite happy with the shape I managed to cut-out for the Pedestal today with the 5mm hardwood sheet, there's a slight gap but I can cover this will sealant. So hopefully it will be easier when it comes to the Vinyl flooring.

Just one other thing, I am about to screw the hardwood flooring down later this week, I have got these screws https://www.screwfix.com/p/turbogold-pz-double-self-countersunk-woodscrews-4-x-20mm-200-pack/11191 I take it I don't need to drill pilot holes and can just go ahead and use the cordless drill to screw the screws in. Is it also correct that you need to space them about 15cm's from each other all over the sheet boards?

I used stainless screws second time round after seeing the state of the coated ones that mostly came out. Saying that with vinyl down it shouldn't be an issue.

15cm sounds about right, the more the merrier, will stop the ply bouncing. I didn't use pilot holes.

I also gave the ply 2 coats of outdoor varnish but that might have been a bit overkill..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back